Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input if you all wouldn't mind.

Brody has been sick for the past month and wasn't improving any. We took him to a new vet and they just got back to me w/ the blood work.

He has something very serious going on, could be a few different things. They will need to do an ultra sound to figure out which of those diseases he has.

Cancer was one of them, I forget what the other was, and possible kidney disease where he would need meds and a special diet for the rest of his life. She sounded like there's a good chance that it will be something very serious where he wouldn't make it, unless it was the 1 disease that was manageable. But I'm not sure what his quality of life would be if he did have that one disease.

She also mentioned it may be bennificial to him to be euthanised.

I just don't know what to do

Right now we need to decide between having him put to sleep, or paying for the ultrasound to find out what's wrong. And there's a big chance that he will need to be put to sleep after the ultra sound anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
I would do the ultrasound, no questions about it. You will always wonder if you did the right thing if you avoid the bill and just have him euthanized.

We'll be thinking of you and Brody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
I would still do the ultrasound. I have been there and had the vet run every test possible because I would never rest unless I knew everything had been done that was possible. My girl passed anyway, but at least I knew I had given her a fighting chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this.I would do the ultrasound. The most important thing is his quality of life. Is he in pain? Can it be controlled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
Absolutely do the ultrasound. You don't want to ever wake up and think "what if it was the disease that was manageable?"

Do the ultrasound, get those results, THEN think about the next step. Take it one step at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
While I know what I would do....definitely do the ultrasound....the bottom line is it's your dog and your decision. And something like this is always tough.

I, personally, could not ever have one of my dogs put down unless I knew it was absolutely the last resort and no doubt in my mind that it was in their best interest. But again, that's the way I look at it.

If money is a problem, talk with your vet about this. Chances are, they can work out something for you.

Good luck. There's nothing harder than having to make these decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes he's in some pain. He can't walk very well, his back legs are giving out going up stairs and such. He was 85lbs and is now 60lbs. He bit my b/f last night.

Right now all they can do is an ultrasound to see if it's cancer or something else just as bad. Or possibly the one kidney disease w/ special food and meds for the rest of his life. I'll need to ask the doctor what his quality of life would be if it is that disease.

She didn't sound like any of this is very promising
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
What I would do right now if I were you is talk to the vet again, your information right now seems fuzzy and I'm sure it's because you're stressed and worried. Be prepared with questions and take notes.

"What are the possible things you believe he may have?" When she tells you the three things, go through each one:

"How will you confirm or rule out X?"
"If he does have X, what does that mean - treatment, quality of life, costs...?"

Then ask the same things for Y and Z. First make sure you have and understand all the information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,623 Posts
An ultrasound should not be that expensive. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I probably don't have to say this, but dogs are every bit as expensive as humans to treat. When you get a dog, it's just part of the deal. I don't know how old your dog is or anything about him, but if he's still relatively young, I'd surely not give up. I assume he's in pain if he bit too.... so it needs quick attention. Anne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have decided on the ultra sound for $300. I can't leave work today to have it done, so I think we will be dropping him off at the vets for the day tomorrow.

He just turned 3 on 3/22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,257 Posts
OMG THREE?!?!?!?!?

So tragic. I'm sorry you're in this spot and wish you the best. Good luck w/the Ultrasound (you won't regret it, either which way) and let us know how you/he are doing.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
Sending my prayers to you and Brody also. That is so hard, but I'm glad you decided on doing the ultrasound. It will save you many regrets in the future. I sure hope it turns out not to be as serious as they think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She is very positive it is not going to be good. but hopefully theres a tiny chance it's not.

I re-read my initial post and i wrote it funny. I wasn't trying to figure out if i should i have him put down or pay money. That wasn't the case.... It was more of a why go through so much more if it's going to have the same result.
 
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top