Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New people renting (I think) the house across the street and this is one of the first things I see - the sign on their fence and a short fence at that. Then I see a big red muscular dog, maybe a Pit or Boxer, loose in the yard with nothing to keep it in the yard.
I am afraid to walk Mira by there. What should I do?:eek:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Go meet them, meet their dog and make friends and then ask the people if their dog is "dog aggressive" If they say no, then have a very supervised "meet and greet". If that doesn't go well, then tell the people you walk your dogs every day and what do they suggest? Then carry mace.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Go meet them, meet their dog and make friends and then ask the people if their dog is "dog aggressive" If they say no, then have a very supervised "meet and greet". If that doesn't go well, then tell the people you walk your dogs every day and what do they suggest? Then carry mace.
Yep... do these things that Pat suggests.
Was it a "beware of dog" sign? At least they have given a "heads up".

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I agree, introduce yourself to the people, tell them you have a Lab that you walk and want to know if their dog is dog-aggressive. If they say it is, ask when it will be indoors so that you can walk your dog safely. Then stick to whatever schedule they give you.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i would go over and ask. find out if the dog is going to jump the fence and come out after you if you walk by. if so...they need to keep it confined. a beware of dog sign does not keep them out of trouble if their dog causes harm.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I had thought of going over there and meeting them to ask about the dog. That is a good suggestion. It is a Beware of Dog sign on both sides of house where the fence is. And I am worried it might jump out if it sees us go by and that is my big concern that I need to find out about. They might not be there.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I have a BEWARE OF THE DOG sign on the gate leading to my front door. It means nothing because the worst my dogs will do is lick you to death! I only put it there as a warning because some people get a hell of a fright when 2 dogs start barking when someone comes here.

My neighbour has a Rottie. I noticed yesterday when I collected their mail (they're on holiday) they've got a BEWARE OF THE DANGEROUS DOG sign on their front deck. I cracked up laughing when I saw it because their dog is a worse guard dog than my 2 & wouldn't hurt a flea. I don't know if they put it there for a joke or what. I'll find out when they come back. :rolleyes:

I would get to know the neighbour & the dog. It will either put your mind to rest if you find out it's harmless or confirm your fears.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
my sister had to put up a beware sign after her dog bit someone...it was the condition the court set for her to keep the dog. But I see beware of dog signs on many houses just because they own a dog.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I would definitely talk to them. Maybe they put it there so meter readers wouldn't leave the gate open or some other equally reasonable reason that has nothing to do with their dog eating children and other animals. :) Maybe they just want people to know they have a dog in the yard.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I would check it out. Who knows, even if it was a boxer or a pit, it may be a very nice dog. I think some people just put it up so that people don't jump out of their shorts when walking by and see a dog come out of no where.. at least they have a warning! :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I agree with the introductions. You can get everything out in the open, plus it's a neighborly thing to do anyway. Good luck! Hopefully you and the puppers will get new friends out of the deal and all will work out fine!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Garth - u might want to check with an Atty on your sign. I was told that it can actualy work against you in certain situations and we (lab rescue) don't advise their use. But honestly I can't remember the specifics reason why - just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Some people put them up here in Australia as Garth mentioned to warn that a dog is in the yard and barking etc may cause initial fright.

Some people put them up in Australia to deter burgulars also?

I agree with the majority. Go see them, introduce yourself and find out!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Some people put them up here in Australia as Garth mentioned to warn that a dog is in the yard and barking etc may cause initial fright.

Some people put them up in Australia to deter burgulars also?
I found out that was the reason for next door's BEWARE OF THE DANGEROUS DOG sign because they thought it might "deter somebody" :D

If anyone ever tried to get into that house, the stupid dog would break through the fence & come running in here for protection. :D

So much for having a Rottie! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I would definitely go over and talk to them. I had a Beware of Dog sign on the gate leading into my back yard. My insurance company actually suggested it because while we also have dog bite insurance (just incase), if there is a visable sign and some idiot decides to walk into the yard anyway, there's a chance if my dog bit them (ha! drown them with drool more like it) then we could fight it in court.

I also think some people put up B.O.D. signs to keep burgerlers away. I used to know someone who didn't have a dog, but had the sign and actually kepts dog dishes on her back deck. She was positive that was the best way to keep her house from getting broken into. *lol*

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi everyone - they have not moved in yet so I haven't had the chance to meet them. I think there is a baby that will live there so one wouldn't think there would be an agressive dog there but you never know.
Will keep you posted and thanks!!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts