Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Weasels play "bitey-face" too! lol!

HEHE! ;D

Luckily, Apollo knows not to play bitey face with the ferrets, LOL. If he DID play bitey-face with them it might not turn out to pretty!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That pic is of Hendrix (8 months) picking on his "big brother", Samson (5 years).

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Do you have more ferrets?"
I'm not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean do I have more then just those two ferrets? or did I get MORE ferrets?

To answer those two questions:

1. Yes, I have six ferrets total
2. Nope, haven't gotten any new ones since I joined JL

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I meant if you have more than the two of them. I thought you had more than 2, but I couldn't remember how many. ;D I bet the 6 of them haves a lot of fun. And are a lot of fun for you too. ;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
:D Weasel bitey-face!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol yup. Six is a blast. Here's my crew:

Lugnut:

Hendrix:

Samson:

Delilah: (in this pic her tail is "hairless" because her adrenal cancer caused it to fall out. Now she has a bushy tail)

Willow:

Weezie:

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Ferrets are so much fun to watch play! Many years ago I had one named Rebel. He loved playing with Shadow. He'd hide under the couch when Shadow was looking for him. Then as soon as she turned her back he would dart out, nip the back of her leg and run back under the couch. He never bit her as in breaking the skin. The dogs bite each other harder when they are playing. It was hilarious to watch.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol its really fun to watch Apollo play with the ferrets. He tries to "organize" them. They will be running all around him under his feet and he just has this look on his face like "no...you go there....and you come here...ahhh! stay put **** it!!!" Its also hilarious to watch the ferrets chase the cats!!

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! They are ADORABLE!!! :D I love Lugnut all wrapped in the blanket!

Delilah: (in this pic her tail is "hairless" because her adrenal cancer caused it to fall out. Now she has a bushy tail)
OMG :( will she be OK?

Do they all get a long with eachother? Who's oldest?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lugnut: 6 months
Hendrix: 8 months
Samson: 5 years
Delilah: 7 years
Willow: 2.5 years
Weezie: 2.5 years

Yup, they are all best buds, except sometimes the baby (Lugnut) decides he wants to pick on everyone. Even though he is the youngest, Lug was the first ferret AND he's the dominant male.

As for Delilah, she has a VERY common cancer for ferrets. Adrenal cancer. Adrenal disease is common in 80% of ferrets in north america! holy crap! Adrenal disease causes several side effects, the most common is hairloss. Other side effects include:

Swelling of the vulva (which can result in estrogen induced anemia)
excessive licking
agressiveness
thinning of the skin
etc etc etc

Priority treatment for this disease is surgery to remove the effected gland. She is too old to undergo surgery to remove the tumors from her glands. The other treatment option is chemical therapy. All chemical therapy does is reduce the SYMPTOMS of the disease, it doesn't actually CURE the disease or shrink/stop tumor growth. It just makes her comfortable as she lives out the rest of her days/weeks/months/years. Its really unfortunate.

Today we took her to the vet to get a melatonin implant. Melatonin is a hormone naturally produced by the body. We humans take melatonin pills sometimes to help us get to sleep. The melatonin implant she recieved is about the size of a grain of rice, and like a microchip it is inserted subcutaneously under the skin between the shoulder blades. For the next 3-4 the implant will regulate the hormones in her body that are out of whack due to the tumors on her adrenal glands. The melatonin implant will cause her to gain weight, re-grow hair, reduce the swelling of her vulva, and make her much more comfortable.

I don't know how much time I have left with her, but she doesn't seem to be "on the verge" or anything. Shes really spunky. I've only had her since Jan 19th. Her old owners dumped her and Samson (feces and urine encrusted cage and all) at a local shelter. When I got to them they were sleeping in urine soaked bedding. It was disgusting. Delilah's old owners got rid of her because they didn't want to "have to deal with a sick animal". Even when managment of her disease only costs $30-40 every 4 months! People disgust me

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehehe! I just found these other pics!

PBF (pre-bitey face)

Hendrix: "mmmm....dee lee she ous!"

DBF (during bitey face)

KRONCHE!!!!!

PST BF (post-bitey face)
Samson: "I hate my life. Someone get this kid away from me!"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Louise Rose (aka Weezie) Kickin it wit her dah-day. She's all like "Sup bitches?!?"

Everyone but Willow in a big cuddle pile:

Lug is pissed that I'm stealing his bluebird toy:

Delilah says, "ROAR! Ferrets are scary!"

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
That makes me so sad and sick to hear that Delilah's previous owners just dumped her when they knew she was sick, and poor Samson. I can't understand how somebody just can get tired of animals and just dump them when they not want them anymore. :'( I'm glad Delilah feel spunky and happy again with the meds. :)

I'm glad they got to you and your husband. You are real ferret friends! :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Veronica. We both feel that no animal should give the best years of their life just to be dumped in their time of greatest need. They have truely brought great joy to my heart. I just love animals. My passion is prompting me to become a vet. Ferrets hold the greatest place in my heart, but my kitties and my Apollo certainly tug at my heart strings too. All my animals, cats dog ferrets (except Lugnut) are rescues. Rescue animals are just so giving. They KNOW you saved them and its like they want to say thank you fifty billion times. One day when I am older and own my own property, I would LOVE to have a ranch and run a private sanctuary (like my friends al and fran do) out of my home.

As for my SO, he's not my hubby....yet....lol I'm still trying to take me up on the offer lol! One day **** it! hehehe. But thats ok, I'm still young (19) and even though he's a bit older (29) I don't think it'd be super smart to get married just yet, I still have a little growing up to do before I "tie the knot". But I DO know that he's the man for me. I've known him for 6 years and we've been dating for a little over a year. He moved all the way to AZ from MO with me just so he could be close to me when I went to college. He's a real sweetheart.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Added to say youre a pretty cool person. Seriously....youve got like a whole rescue shelter going on there and youre still young! I admire people like you.

Also...ever have a chinchilla? My son had one for years...omg...she was so so soft and sweet. We rescued her from some tanner place.
My son was a vegetarian when he was 6 years old. He has been a little animal rights activist since the time he could talk. Anyway, he read on some site about this protest where the people were killing chins to make coats. He begged me to take him. He was 10 at the time. So I took him. The protest was more like illegal breaking and entering into this place where they killed the chins.
This group of radicals BROKE in and STOLE the chins. Now, here are these radical activists who all knew each other and me.... Mrs. Soccer Mom in my Suburban. So my son is cheering for them and they are running for their cars to get away before the police come. I'm APALLED that I am even AT this kind of thing where this is happening, yelling at my son to GET IN THIS CAR THIS VERY INSTANT and lecturing him against breaking and entering, when some guy runs by with an armful of chinchillas and says " Here ya go little dude, take good care of him" and with that shoves a very young chinchilla into my son's arms. He jumps into the car and yells "FLOOR IT MOM!!!"
omg...i was scared to death...didnt even have time to say give that rat back to that guy right now! because we had to get out of there.
Long story short... (or not so short ;) ) we would up keeping the chin and had him for about 5 years. They are very clean, sweet pets.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First of all, I would like to say, thank you Weheartlabs. I am absolutely flattered by your compliment. It wasn't until I moved out on my own and was actually allowed to have pets for the first time that I realized how much I loved animals. It all started when I got my cat, Roxie May, this past September. Then came Lugnut, Hendrix, Samson and Delilah, Willow and Weezie, and then finally, Apollo. Once I started acquiring pets I became appauled at 1. the number of animals needing homes and 2. the lack of ferret knowledgable vets in this country. I decided to dedicate my life to 1. rescuing animals, as many as I had the time/space/funds for. and 2. pursuing a career in vet medicine. I'm not a very "popular" person. I don't go out and party with friends on weekends, I don't go get drunk (although with this many animals sometimes I feel like maybe I should lol! 10 sure is a handful! lol!!!) I just do all I can for animals. I know that if anyone else had the time/space/funds (lack of social life lol) like me then they would do the same as me. These animals are like my children. They have definitly taught me alot about responsibility and sacrifice.

Secondly, nope, don't have a chinchilla. I've seen them though and they are SO adorable. Did you know that their coats are so dense that a flea would suffocate if it went so far down into the chinchillas coat that it reached the skin? crazy! I dunno if I will ever have a non-carnivorous animal in my home though. :( 10 carnivors vs. 1 non-carnivore just doesn't seem fair lol. I wouldn't even want to begin to think about what would happen if the chinchilla got loose in the house!

Third, that has to be the FUNNIEST story I have ever heard! OMG I am laughing so hard right now! I can just see you sitting there with all those animal rights radicals and you thinking "hmmm....i think we might be in the wrong place." Now thats one hell of a story about how your son got his chincilla. Wish I had an amusing tale like that!!!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Thanks for sharing! :) :D

yeah, you seem to be a very cool, caring person. Look at your household!! LOL

I recall the vid clip of one of your cats playing w/Apollo's tail. I thought, "okay, that dog is not the type of dog who would damage a person's home." You and your boyfriend are doing him good. : )

(btw, what is your first name, anyway?)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts