Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
A lot of people use people ones, but if your dog has allergy issues, they contain ingredients that would aggravate them.

I've heard really good things about Fresh Factors. In fact, I'm going to order it for my dog.

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/131/2

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I give Puff the same G&C as I take, no problems.

We use the Kirkland G&C (house brand, sold only at Costco) @ tab G = 750 mg; C = 600 mg.

A couple years ago, Consumer Reports rated this brand as the highest quality & lowest price.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I give mine the human version. Meijers occasionally has them on sale buy one, get one free.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
We just use the people kind also. I believe we've had the Meijer brand the last several times. We also wait until they go on a buy-one, get-one sale.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Cosequin DS here, on recommendation of Jes's ortho vet.

I know a lot of people use cosequin DS, but I think you have to get it from your vet.
You can get it on eBay, many farm supply stores, or use the human Cosamin DS from places like Costco, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Most vets do sell it, but I think it's normally a lot higher than the alternatives.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What ever Glucosamine you choose stay away from the much less effective KCl or the NaCl forms of glucosamine (only shown when you examine the ingredient list)....they are mostly fillers.....Glucosamine in the Potassium Salt form, which means you get much less absorbable Glucosamine. You want Glucosamine HCL and/or Sulfate for better absorption....ideally both...the more pure glucosamine. Liquid glucosamine is supposed to be absorbed quicker but I've only just given crushed pill or granular form. Also I look for other synergistic ingredients like MSM, chondrotin sulfate, omega 3's, vitmain a,c,e, etc.

Also would look into the source if your lab is prone to allergies because it is also derived from shellfish most often. Anyhow, just something that might be helpful when shopping for your glucosamine :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.