Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is cross-posted from O&E because I had a hard time finding it! ;)

BEST EVER STRAWBERRY PIE

4 cups fresh strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1 - 9 inch pie shell (you can even go buy a frozen one and bake it if you want!) (** do I need to tell you this is a *baked* pie shell? don't use raw....)
whipped cream, or ice cream on the side

* Rinse, hull and drain strawberries. In a pot, combine 2 cups of berries with the sugar and cornstarch. Crush the berries firmly but gently (whatever! crush, crush, crush!) Stir and let simmer over low heat until thick and clear and free of cornstarch taste. (Sample them to be sure the cornstarch is cooked off or you'll be sorry!)

Cool the mixture.

Cut remaining strawberries in 1/2, 1/4s, whatever suits you, or leave whole. It doesn't matter. (I like mine thick sliced) Spread these berries in the cooked pie shell, and then spoon over the cooled strawberry/sugar mixture. Chill until firm.

Serve.

You guys will cry when you taste this. It's July in a pie shell.

I've never made it with anything other then strawberries, but this afternoon as I was making it, I got thinking, and it will work with any berry really. I'm gonna try raspberries when they are in season next.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Well, traditionally here we would use a graham cracker crust for a cold pie, not a regular pie crust. I actually used crushed pretzels to give it a nice sweet/salty taste. I only had 1 lb of strawberries so I mixed 8 oz of cream cheese with some lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar and added that to the cooled crust, then topped with the strawberry mixture. It got rave reviews, though! I was modeling it after a strawberry pretzel salad that I really like, but it has jello in it. I don't want to use jello anymore because of the dyes/ingredients in it and thought the strawberry/cornstarch mixture would be a good substitute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts