Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the Benadryl that's okay for dogs called Benadryl Allergy? The pharmacist told me there is a daytime and a nightime Benadryl and it sounded like one was just stronger than the other. I think there is also a liquid by what they said. I'm gathering it's just plain Benadryl tablets that I should have on hand in case Dee has another reaction to whatever. Not sure how many different kinds of Benadryl there are, but I'm heading to pharmacy shortly to pick some up. She's doing okay so far today, but I'll feel better having them on hand just in case. Do they generally make your dogs sleepy?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Whatever you get, just make sure that it's diphenhydramine HCl and only that - don't get the decongestant pills or anything that has other active ingredients. You can get the off-brand version as well, as long as you make sure you know the ingredients.

You can give up to one milligram for every pound, every 8 hours.

I also go for the tablets, since they are nice and small. I would stay away from the liquids because the alcohol content is pretty high - contact your vet if you think you might want to use that.

See here for more info:http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Ditto Justine on the plain diphenhydramine HCl and no other active ingredients. Check the label. You can get the children's Benadryl, but I generally keep the plain regular capsules on hand here.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, hope I got the right ones.

BENADRYL ALLERGY, It says on the side: Each caplet contains
ANTIHISTAMINE
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 25 mg

Non-medicinal ingredients:
celluloses, dicalcium phosphate, D&C Red No. 27, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate, starch, stearic acid, titanium dioxide, wax, zinc stearate.

Does that sound right? Seems like a lot of non-medicinal ingredients. I haven't got a clue what some of them are, but hope it's okay for dogs. The "caplets" are bright pink with Benadryl written on them. That seemed to be all they had, although they did have a generic brand. I think they had 50 mg. caplets too, but I got the 25's. They seemed surprised when I showed them what dosage the Vet recommended, but then they normally deal with people not dogs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Related funny story:

I was a combat medic with the Marines in VietNam. One of the Marines got multiple bee/wasp/hornet stings all over his face and neck. I had both tablet and injectable Benadryl and this was urgent so I broke out the syringes and vials.

I wanted to give 100 mgm. in his muscles and expected the vials to be 50 mgm/cc. Turns out the Marines gave me pediatric injectable....10 mgm/cc, so he got a couple of pretty big shots.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes, you got the right one. What you do not want to get is the one that has Pseudoephedrine. In Tennessee (not sure if it's this way everywhere), the kind with Pseudoephedrine is now behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

If it happens again, I would say give Dee 2-3 pills of the 25 mg.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, you got the right one. What you do not want to get is the one that has Pseudoephedrine. In Tennessee (not sure if it's this way everywhere), the kind with Pseudoephedrine is now behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

If it happens again, I would say give Dee 2-3 pills of the 25 mg.
Thanks Connie. I'm always a bit nervous about anything I've never used before, but I guess it would be unusual to have a reaction to something you give to stop a reaction. LOL I guess all the non-medicinal ingredients in the Benadryl are okay for dogs. I was kind of surprised by the bright pink caplets and the number of extra ingredients on top of the medicinal one. Someone mentioned dye free ones, but the only other ones they had that didn't contain any other medications were the 50 mg. They had extra strength and those had a couple of other medications in them, but I forget what they were. One of them may have been the one you mentioned above. She seems totally fine today (touch wood); swelling gone and no throwing up since the Vet gave her the two shots on Sunday morning. I wish I had some clue as to the cause, but the Vet said in most cases people never figure it out.....unless it's something obvious like a bee sting or a reaction to a vaccination. Anyway heaven forbid that it happens again at least this time I'll have the Benadryl on hand. I have some allergies myself so probably a good idea to have it around for both of us. :)

bacsibob - Good job you realized it was only a pediatric dose that you had!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just a note: Benadryl normally makes most drowsy but not always. In Katie's case...it is like giving her a huge dose of caffeine. I learned the hard way. Vet said to give her the benadryl about 30 minutes/hour before bed so maybe she would sleep better and not itch...We were up ALL NIGHT!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I'm always a bit nervous about anything I've never used before (me too), but I guess it would be unusual to have a reaction to something you give to stop a reaction (LOL!).

I always try to read everything that's on the label for the boys also, especially when it comes to giving them things intended for humans. For a long time, the "polyethylene glycol" had me freaked out, because it sounded so close to "ethylyene glycol" (antifreeze!).

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm always a bit nervous about anything I've never used before (me too), but I guess it would be unusual to have a reaction to something you give to stop a reaction (LOL!).

I always try to read everything that's on the label for the boys also, especially when it comes to giving them things intended for humans. For a long time, the "polyethylene glycol" had me freaked out, because it sounded so close to "ethylyene glycol" (antifreeze!).
Yeah, I did a double take when I read that one too. LOL I wonder why they need to use the D&C Red No. 27. I'm assuming it's a red dye judging by the bright pink pills. Just seems an odd thing to use in an allergy pill, but I'm sure there must be a reason.

mommacomet - Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder how common that opposite to usual affect is.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Some of the other ingredients are used to hold the pills together. At least that's what the pharmacist told me when I asked what all the extra 'stuff' was in the melatonin.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Polyethylene Glycol is actually used in the human laxative Miralax. I wouldn't worry about the presumably small amount in a tablet.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Benadryl allergy is what my first lab Casey took. She had really bad allergies and it did help, made her a little drowsy at first but over time she was not quite as drowsy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts