Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been to Belgium? Is there anything to do there?

SU has been offered a visiting gig teaching for a couple weeks in Leuven next January. Should I go, too? I've always assumed that Belgium was the most boring European country, but I've heard they have beer.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I'd go for the beer and waffles, then keep myself entertained asking everyone for the location of the birthplace of Hercule Poirot.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I would kill to go to the art museum in Antwerp!!! (I'm taking art history right now.)

Go for the food (chocolate too!), art, and architecture!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I'd go for the beer and waffles, then keep myself entertained asking everyone for the location of the birthplace of Hercule Poirot.
I bet if you go to London, you'll jump in a cab & ask to be taken to 222B Baker st. :rolleyes: I know how people like you operate. :D

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I went to Belgium while on a french exchange, I liked it. Very quaint and cute, neat parade while we were there. I remember going to a diner and seeing "hamburger a cheval" on the menu and dry heaving just a touch, but other than that it was enjoyable. :D

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm. Chocolate *and* beer--I think I'll go! Turns out it's also an easy train ride from London, Amsterdam, Cologne, and Paris. So even if it's raining every day, there still will be stuff to do.

Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I'd be concerned with the terrorists. The Belgians are a violent bunch, all hopped up on chocolate and beer.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
A couple of weeks in Belgium? Get thee to Belgium Nathan! Enjoy the beer!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Eat pizza:D:D:D

Seriously where my father was stationed in Germany the closest pizza place was 15 minutes from home in Belgium. We were there from the time I was 12 to 15.

I would go there is always museums and food. A lot has been talked about already but the besides the great beer (and yes I was allowed to drink it at that age) they make the best french fries in Belgium. It is a national dish.

And depending on where you are Germany, France, Holland and Luxenburg are probably less than an hour and a half train ride. If you are lucky enough to be in the right place along the coast London is only a ferry ride away so you could do some interesting weekend trips.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Karon! We would be in Leuven, east of Brussels. My understanding is that you can catch a quick train to Brussels and then go from there pretty much anywhere.

I'd be concerned with the terrorists. The Belgians are a violent bunch, all hopped up on chocolate and beer.
I did not know that.

And boobs.
Or that. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Dutch? Or the Canadians?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts