Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......selectively bark at people?

The other day I had Sally with me in Home Depot. We were looking around pricing several items. Almost everyone we passed came up and gave the usual "Oh, what a pretty dog. May I pet her?" And, I said yes....and they made over her for a little while. Both customers and HD employees were friendly with her. She loves it! Very friendly and very well-behaved.

Then when we were looking at some PVC, a HD guy was there helping us. I had Sally sitting nicely beside me while I talked to the guy. Another HD employee approached and gave the usual "What a nice looking dog. May I pet her?"

I said sure, and he very nicely approached with his hand out for her to sniff, but she backed up and started barking her head off. Not an aggressive go-for-him bark, but more of a defensive bark. She did NOT like him one bit.

I kind of felt sorry for him because he certainly wasn't doing anything wrong. He did say that he had just come from his stable and horses, so maybe she didn't like the horse smell (no offense, Laura!).

But right after that little episode, we left to check out. She was back to friendly mode, even rolling over on her back to let a HD guy give her a belly rub right there at the check-out! :D

I'm sure this has happened to y'all....this selective barking at only certain people. What do you say to those people?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We had a guy come through our aisle at the National Mini show a few years ago. Now, people had been coming and going all week- not a peep from any of the dogs. This comes down and ALL THREE dogs go ballistic! Forrest NEVER barks at people at shows- he was bristling and growling. It was amazing.... the guy was panhandling and we sent him on his way. If my DOG doesn't like you, I don't like you either.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BJ does this too. He is great with almost everybody at the dog park but every once in a while he barks at someone when they come near. I usually call him to me or get him focused on his ball again but it is kinda embarrassing. One time he barked at a lady that he knows very well and we decided it was her hat because she normally does not wear one.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Sadie does have a bark that goes right through you if she sees someone approaching our house!!!

She isn't as social as she should be!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi does that with people and other dogs! She is fine then just randomly will bark at a person or dog- no rhyme nor reason! Man I wish they could talk :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shelby has done this too a few times, my neighbor who she has interacted with numerous times but will not go directly up to him and let him pet her, she will play, fetch etc, but will not get close him and will just bark. She did this to a guy at the dog park the other day, would not stop barking everytime she came near him, I personally don't like the guy, his attitude comes across as "mr know it all" I suppose she senses that.... But not sure why she is that way with the neighbor.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm pretty sure someone would rob the house and Moose would still go nuts trying to get the robber to pet him. The day when Moose meets a person and doesn't feel the need to run up and jump all over them will be a great day. ;)

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey is pretty friendly to most people and dogs that she meets, but I think that sometimes peoples' body expressions, clothing (weird hats!) and things like that can really say a lot to dogs.. not sure exactly what happened at Home Depot, but you never know!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Peanut is very reserved around strangers a lot of the time, especially kids. They can give her treats, but petting? Not on your life. :rolleyes: And then sometimes she'll go right up to certain people like she's known them forever, and I have no idea what it is that she likes so much.

She won't bark or be aggressive at all, she'll just evade, and she's darn good at it. I just tell people she's shy and give them treats to give her.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nancy- do they ever give you flack for taking her into HD? As far as barking, Cinder our new pup is the only one that would do that. She is very selective. Once you pet her she is fine but you have to get past the bark first. As far as robbing the house, they will all bark but Zoey will show you where the bigger TV is, Jesse will be mad if you take her couch, and Cinder will make sure the neighbors know you are there. Now the JRT's will be attached to your leg and crotch as you walk out with that big TV!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
yes Milly has done this on occasion. When the person looks at me confused about why she would bark and step away from them I just shrug and say "I guess she thinks your dodgy" I do not care if that offends people.. my dog doesn't like you... there has to be a reason!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
You know what Sarah, I'm with you! From now I'll look at it that way instead of wishing sammi would "just love everyone". She does love most everyone, so I will trust her instinct,and let it go at that!!:)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It is actually more a reaction to how the person approached your dog than your dog being not nice.

He was probably a bit insecure when approaching her or nervous, or probably caught her distracted looking at the other guy and scared her.

Misha loves everyone she meets. Homer sometimes gets a little scared and barks, and then loves everyone... My old Brownie was good at protecting me from REAL suspecting people. Once she almost bit a guy that approached me in the car with no good intentions. She almost threw herself out the back window to attack him. Good girl!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
The closest either of mine come is when someone is walking by outside, or walking a dog, and they both bark and want to play..lol. Everywhere else they know they will get a treat at some point. Of course, they are not spoiled in the least.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My dog has a strong dislike for my neighbor who is a ederly man and he doesn't like his car either. Also doesn't like anyone walking behind us whether they have a dog or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts