Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some beef heart for my ferrets, but b/f froze it before I could cut it into pieces and put it into baggies (btw 1 beef heart lasts the weasels about a month). Anyway. So now i have a frozen beef heart. i can't thaw it, cut it up, and then re-freeze it so I was thinking of giving it to Apollo. Is it ok to give him the whole heart? I don't have any digestive enzymes, will it make him sick do the the richness of it? Thanks.

BTW-we are getting ready to move apollo onto half kibble/half raw so I've been tossing him so raw meat and soup bones to get him used to it and he loves it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Why can't you thaw and refreeze? It can safely be done several times and most of the products you buy at the grocery store have been thawed and refrozen.
You shouldn't need digestive enzymes....heart is a muscle meat and not too rich.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done it before and the meat went....weird...it like...dried out or got freezer burn or something. Beef heart isn't that expensive, so we're just gunna go get some new fresh heart for the ferrets and give pollo the current beef heart.

We make "organ bags' for the ferrets. Each sunday we take a plastic baggies with 6 gizzards, 1 liver, and usually 3 chicken hearts (or 3, one inch chunks of beef heart) and they get that for breakfast. Dinner is beef chunks with egg yolk and crushed egg shell 'breading' lol.

Quick question. We are getting ready to feed apollo half raw/half kibble. We feed ferrets organs one meal a week, is it the same for dogs? Would I make a baggie for apollo of like 1 beef heart, 1 chicken liver, a couple gizzards, some tripe, etc? and give that once a week for a meal?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I have defrosted and then re-frozen stuff. I don't do a whole meal of just beef heart but mix with his vegies. It can be rich. Good for them but rich.

One more note--I have gotten a lot of my meat from people who have cleaned their freezers out and thought the meat was freezer burned. Caleb at it without a problem. Remember a dog will eat garbage if given the chance.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, but ferrets wont...picky little bastards. Do you know that all four of the raw fed ones prefer their eggs a differnt way? One wants them scrambled (no spices), on wants it sunny side up, one wants it raw, and one wants it hardboiled! Um...hello! What am I a chef? lol

Oh...slight problem. Apollo is afraid of green beans, yes...i swear to god....afraid. He pees himself and runs away when he sees them. I haven't a clue why. What other veggies can I use <tries not to laugh>

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
haha, but ferrets wont...picky little bastards. Do you know that all four of the raw fed ones prefer their eggs a differnt way? One wants them scrambled (no spices), on wants it sunny side up, one wants it raw, and one wants it hardboiled! Um...hello! What am I a chef? lol

Oh...slight problem. Apollo is afraid of green beans, yes...i swear to god....afraid. He pees himself and runs away when he sees them. I haven't a clue why. What other veggies can I use <tries not to laugh>
WHAT A HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that each one likes their eggs different! And as for the green beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Apollo will luv beef heart i'm sure! I weigh my dogs meals as too much of anything when they are not used to it can cause runny poo, my gus and my poodle riley both luv heart (my poodle i had to lightly sear it as first as he was kibble fed for 11 years and didn't take to raw right off, i still sprinkle with parmesan cheese quite often too!) i feed heart as a muscle meat at least 5 meals per week. -Good for you switching to raw for the pooch too! :D :D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I wanted apollo on raw ever since I got him two months ago, but raw for dogs is quite different from raw for ferrets. So i had to get the hang of it, ask questions, get an idea of what to do, before I felt 'ready' to start. I'm psyced to start. Once I get my new job he'll be on raw and kibble and then we'll see what happens from there

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Stick to the dark green leafies with the veggies...mmm, lots of vitamin B!!
Stay away from carrots and root vegetables, and peppers if your boy has joint issues because they can increase inflammation.
I've heard somewhere that spinach is not great but can't remember where or why...has anyone else heard this???

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I used to use beef heart as training treats.. .dice it up fine into bite size bits, toss it with fresh garlic, then bake at a low heat till its dry and crunchy...

Stinks up the whole house, but the dogs LOVE it. (Can't use beef anymore with miss sensitive digestion, Sophie, but chicken gizzards and lamb hearts work just as well)

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
FallRiver said:
I've heard somewhere that spinach is not great but can't remember where or why...has anyone else heard this???
If I remember correctly it does something to inhibit the absorption of calciium

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I've found that using a good pair of heavy scissors works much better at cutting the meat (or organs) better than a knife. Let the heart partially thaw and then cut it up with scissors. Then toss the scissors in the dish washer. I do this daily with my raw meats.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
raian said:
I've found that using a good pair of heavy scissors works much better at cutting the meat (or organs) better than a knife. Let the heart partially thaw and then cut it up with scissors. Then toss the scissors in the dish washer. I do this daily with my raw meats.

I can't stand liver so that is what I do the day Caleb gets beef liver. I can't stand the smell that gets on my hands even after I wash them. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts