Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else say this when someone is leaving? I do all the time. I don't know if you heard about the American Idol auditions here in Louisville and Paula and Simon's response to one of the contestants.

'Idol' judges misconstrued 'be careful' remark
Jan. 30, 2009, 12:53 AM EST
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Be careful not to read too much into what someone from Louisville says while heading out the door — like the "American Idol" judges did.

Related: "Idol" Recap: Hollywood or Bust

The producers of "Idol" apologized Thursday on behalf of its judges, who apparently misinterpreted what a contestant in Louisville, Ky., said after a failed audition. On his way out, Mark Mudd said: "Take care and be careful."

Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell took that as a threat. Abdul scolded Mudd, telling him, "You don't say that to people, 'Be careful.' That's just not a normal thing to say."

It turns out that "be careful" is a regional parting expression.

The show's producers say they had not heard that from any other contestants, so it took everyone by surprise.

A statement from "Idol" producers said: "We now know better and look forward to visiting Louisville again someday."

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
We say it around here too.

Every time I leave the house one of the parentals adds "be careful"...it's usually "I love you and be careful"

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
They def acted stupid when he said that .

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: well said jimbo .

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Pretty common parting remark here too. Well, more so in Southern Indiana where I'm from, I think, than in Central Indiana where I am now. You know, the big city. ;)

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
lol

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I saw that audition. The guy was kinda of weird and acted really surprised that they didn't like him. But I really felt he had no idea what else to say , so just said that as he was going off stage. I also took it to just be a fare-well saying. We often say "be careful" so I didn't think anything of it.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
It's not a normal thing here. Given the way the audition went, I thought it sounded like a threat.

Mind you there are all sorts of regional differences. In one part of Wales, they don't say "How are you?" but "Are you okay?". That person got a lot of strange looks until he figured out that we don't usually ask here that unless someone looks sick.

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
He was just a re re . Security can handle him . :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I say this when guests leave our home but usually it's "see you and be careful getting home" or "drive safely and thanks for stopping by" usually if I say "be careful" it's followed by something. But that could just be an Aussie thing.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Yep...every single time SU left or someone leaves my house, I always say be careful. "Love ya, be careful."
I've said it to friends on the phone.
Sheesh....what a scary world we live in if people take something like that as a threat.

"ya'll be careful now" :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I say that quite often, "Take care" or "Be careful." If the weather is bad and our sales or service guys are going out, I always tell them to be careful and be safe. Most thank me when I do.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yup we say it all the time here....we just laughed when we saw that episode......

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I watched the clip. I don't know, it seemed weird to me, too. In great part because of his behavior. He looked like a strange man.

Someone leaving my house, I might say "drive safely" or "be careful" if there's ice on the stairs, but just a stranger saying it after being rejected in Chicago could be seen as threatening.

And my guess is Paula is pretty paranoid with all of the drugs she's doing. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts