Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend was supposed to be a easy relaxing weekend. But turned into 2 days of hell!

Our house is very outdated and we have been working on sprucing it up.
So we planned on putting in a new toilet and medicine cabinet this weekend......after removing the toilet we noticed how poor the floor was was under there.

Soooooo what was only a couple new things turned into a complete re-model.

So we now need to replace everything!

Lot's of money spent and lots of hours put in, but by next weekend we should be all back together.

so in addition to the new toilet and medicine cabinet we get....

new shower surround
new sub floors
new floor
new cabinets
new sink
new faucet
new lights

Ugh!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
It will be worth the money and effort. Bathrooms are a big money maker, 2nd to kitchens. You can't go wrong with it. And.... we expect pics!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Good luck! It will definitely be worth it!

We're hoping to do an update on our bathroom too. I wanted to do a remodel, but my frugal husband has bartered me down, so now we have compromised on keeping the tub and toilet. He WILL be re-grouting the tile though! We will be replacing the vanity, over-toilet cabinet, mirror, lighting, hardware accessories and flooring... plus painting. The vanity, cabinet, mirror and flooring will be done last knowing my husband, because they cost the most money! Can you tell I'm getting fed up??

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes it will be worth it!

I just can't wait to use my shower or have a toilet. Ruffing it right now big time ugh
Be a week until we have a toilet i think.

The whole bathroom only cost about 1500 or so. We did it fairly cheep.

Saturday:
-took down all the ugly bathroom wall paneling, scraped glue and sanded.
-got rid of the old toilet and 1970's medicine cabinet and lighting.
-Installed new medicine cabinet
-ripped up all the floors down to the very bottom layer
-ripped out all cabinets
-ripped down shower walls, scraped glue and sanded
-spent over $1400 at home depot

Sunday:
-Layed down all new sub floors
-Put up new shower surround
-layed new floor tiles (fancy looking peel n' stick style tiles....gotta save money somewhere)

Today we need to do the caulking around the shower seams, and put on the first round of joint compound on the walls.

By Friday night we should have everything painted and ready to have the bathroom re-assembled Saturday.

Oh yes I have been snapping pictures of the whole process and will post before/after when complete.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
We are on our second bathroom remodel! I can totally relate- UGH!!! The Main bathroom was a complete re-do, new bathtub- shower, tile, floor, cabinets- lighting etc...... The Master bath is more of an update- until like you we found some water damage- luckily we found the problem and DH was able to fix it without a shower removal since we have a tile shower!! It will be so nice when its done- would love to see pictures of yours when your done! Di

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the floors were totally unexpected. They used Partical board!!!!!!!

I jsut have to keep telling myself it will be worth it when it's over.

I wish we had a 2nd bathroom. Tearing out your only one and going w/ out for over a week isn't very fun.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts

I wish we had a 2nd bathroom. Tearing out your only one and going w/ out for over a week isn't very fun.
Yeah that happened to us in our first house, no bathroom and two small children- not fun at all. Luckily now we have 3 so its never a problem, the one down stairs is also the utility room so we're ignoring it!:)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I know it will. :)
We even splurged and got one of those vessel sinks
I can't wait to see how it will look

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

I did that in May last year.. i only had one bathroom and took it down to the studs.. no floor, no walls.. no tub, no toilet.. gonzo.

I had to spend the week at my parents house.. when i went home to spend the day working, i had to go down the street to a coffee shop to use the bathroom.. the funny thing is.. when you don't have one, suddenly you need to pee all the time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I have noticed that too!
Luckly we live out in the woods, so peeing outside is an option. Freezing and inconvient yes! but at least it's an option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts