Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kaycie went to the groomer today. Second time in her whole life to ever have a bath, and she's just over a year old. Her nails REALLY needed to be done. I have just kept putting it off, and off because she hates for me to clip them. Admittedly, she has nipped at me before because I've just kept on trying and trying to clip them. I am a chicken, and definitely scared that I'm going to cut to close too the quick, or that she might actually decide to bite me if I keep trying.

I knew it was war before I even dropped her off. But glad that they were the bad guys, and not me. When they finally called for me to pick her up I asked if she good (knowing the answer before I heard it).
Her exact words were, "Well she freaked out when I turned on the water, and I couldn't blow dry her, and the nails, well the nails.....I filed them as best as I could." I felt a little guilty, and bad for both the person doing the duty, and for my baby.

I got there and picked her up and she told me "She was BAD BAD BAD for the Bath." And she had no clue how to put the gentle leader back on her. (another story)

I feel horrible. I have a dog that pulls no matter WHAT I do to teach otherwise, she hates for me to clip her toe nails, and is afraid of water. I should have taught her better, and it's embarrassing. HELP! I'm a bad parent, and my labrakid's BAD TOO!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I've got two that are stars. Love to take a bath and nails are a total non-issue. My third, Chauncy, who looks just like Kaycie by the way, is a nightmare. I handled her paws a lot as a puppy, did all the stuff you're supposed to do, but it didn't make any difference. I do baths and nails for my older two at home but always take Chauncy to the groomers. Let somebody else deal with her. She nipped when doing nails as a puppy but not anymore. Now she just flops on her back and waves her feet wildly in the air. She looks like a Daddy Long Legs.

I used to ask how she was and got all embarassed. Now I don't ask, I just pay and go.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
When Puff was a pup and occasionally needed a bath, it was like World War III getting her into the tub. Then I had a happy idea. Maybe it was because her toenails wouldn't dig into the porcelain? So I bought the largest size RubberMaid bathtub mat and that did the trick.

(I also use a WaterPik shower head on a long hose PLUS a nylon mesh strainer to keep dog hair from clogging the drain.)

Now when I want Puff in the tub, I just tell her to hop in and she does.

She does like to shake as soon as she gets out but I quickly have her hop up on some towels on the bed and towel her dry -- she LOVES that.

As for filing, trimming nails, she likes that as well as she did her first bath. So I have Puff do some retrieving, fetching on the sidewalk and that helps do the job -- not completely but it sure helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that's wierd is that since she has been home she hasn't stopped whining. I tried playing with her best friend next door, water, going poop, food, treats, and even playing fetch with the new ball from our SP (which she loves). And nothing, she just layed there sulking. She never just chills out lol. She's not like my baby today. I dont know if it's because she got her feelings hurt, or if there's another underlying cause. I have a huge fear of leaving my dog alone with strange people. I always think that they are not treating her well. AAAAAAAAAH!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
To give you an idea, Caleb climbs in the tub as soon as he realizes I'm getting the bathroom ready for his bath. He's even gotten in the tub on non-bath days, and ended up under the drying rack I keep in there. As for nails, he used to fight me tooth and nail when he was little. One day I decided to just take him in the bathroom so he had less room to get away from me in. Wonders of all wonders, as soon as I closed the door, he sat against it in the corner and handed me one of his front paws, and turned his head away like he couldn't watch. When I was done with that one, he did the same thing with the other one. He just sits there while I do the back ones, too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She will drink all of my bath water and drop EVERY single toy in the tub if i'm in it, but if i'm not in there, she wants nothing to do with the bathroom....unless the toilet seat is up, and then she's all about the "good drinking water".

I crawled into the kennel with her...which is even LESS room than our tiny bathroom. I guess i'm just scared that the more I corner her, the more she wants to snap back. Like saying "Hello! Whaddo I gotta do so you get the point?"

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I had the groomer do Cinnamon's toe nails a couple of year ago and then bought a dremel tool. We get her on her back on the couch one a week and she gets premium treat (usually a piece of meat broke into minute pieces) and one of my parents feeds her and rubs her belly while I dremel the toe nails. Frequently she gets both parents so belly rubs and treats at the same time. She thinks she is in doggie heaven.

I gave up on the bath tub and just have her jump in the pool shampoo her when she gets out and the spray her with the hose to rinse. Then inside after a good shake for a nice marrow bone on her bed while she dries. Here in the deserts of AZ I can usually find a warm enough day most weeks to do this even in the winter.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Rider will jump into the tub any day of the week if I ask him to, but he doesn't get baths. Nails on the other hand, I have to lay on him to trim and dremmel them. Rookie about due for a trimming...we'll see how the chub scout does, and even though he's crawled under the deck and been muddy a myriad of times already, he's not gotten a bath either. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Lil Lab Kaycie said:
She will drink all of my bath water and drop EVERY single toy in the tub if i'm in it, but if i'm not in there, she wants nothing to do with the bathroom....unless the toilet seat is up, and then she's all about the "good drinking water".

I crawled into the kennel with her...which is even LESS room than our tiny bathroom. I guess i'm just scared that the more I corner her, the more she wants to snap back. Like saying "Hello! Whaddo I gotta do so you get the point?"
Bathtub:

Definitely like was said earlier...if you do not have it already, get a rubber bath mat and put it there so she can get some purchase. Also the stand up shower head is a good idea. You also might try putting her in the tub before the water goes in, that way she can see and feel the bottom (there was a segment on a dog show on this once where the dog was flipping out in the tub and that is what was recommended). Of course when she does go in, lots of praise and treats and pampering.

Nails:

Maybe the dog is picking up on your fears and hesitation. Thing is, she needs to understand that you are going to clip her nails...no debate. Nipping you is NEVER an option. Start handling her paws and then start clipping them.

With both exercises, make sure you are not playing into their fears by reassuring them when they flip. When they flip like that, do not tolerate it or at least ignore it. When they are nice and calm and submissive, then praise the day lights out of them.]

This works for me and before I got my dog I was told he was a terror for getting his nails done. Now I hear him snoring when I do :)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Mine both hate baths. If I bathe Fanny twice a year it's a lot. Eddie, gets bathed about 3 or 4 times a year because he gets stinkier, he is a mix with longer hair and traps dirt like crazy.

they both hide when the bath water goes on............. Eddie I pick up and put in and he sits there shaking drinking out of the water spout! Fanny has to have both of us put her in and she hates it. She loves the water, by the way, just not the tub...........

With nails, Fanny jsut lies there looking sad and I clip 'em, Eddie hides. When he realizes it is going to happen regardless, he lies there looking sad but only lets me do a couple at a time. I use a silk flower wire cutter. If I brought something with a motor near them I wouldn't see them for days..................they think MIL and BIL would save them..............

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
The only time Brigetta has has an actual bath is when I first found her and maybe one other time when she got into something. She jumps in the shower all the time when I'm in it and I do have to rinse her off when she plays in the mud, but I don't shampoo her. She loves it.
As for the nails, I had to take it slow. Brigetta is afraid of everything, so whenever she was laying down and I was was just watching tv I would pet her feet, run my fingers over her pads and the webbing between the toes, to get her used to me touching her. Other times I would put the clippers near her, let her sniff them, give her a treat. Eventually when she was really worn out and sleeping I went over to her with a treat and the clippers and just did one or two nails, gave her a treat and left her alone. Now it's so much easier to trim them. We're starting to walk a lot more that the weather is nice, so I don't need to trim them as much.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Bath? what's a bath? I guess I'm a big meany because if mine HAVE to be "bathed" it is always outside under the cold hose. As for the nails, I don't clip them...we do some roadwork everyday which files them down.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The one or two times in his entire life that Wesley has been bathed has been in our stall shower with the hand-held attachment supplying the water. No fuss - no muss.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Jake jumps in the tub every chance he gets, hoping someone will turn the water on for him to play with. The few times he's had a bath (he always finds the stinky ponds if possible, or dead fish) He just plays with the spout while I do the sudsing. His nails used to be an issue when I tried to force him to behave - now I clip one at a time if they're long, and just dremmel otherwise.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jersey goes into the shower stall when he needs a "bath" b/c it's MUCH easier for me to use the flexible spray head thingie. ;) I only bathe him when he comes home from the kennel (like 2xs a year). He's fine about it, just stands there and let me have at him. It's the drying that's the FUN part. He goes nuts, mostly b/c he's wet and happy, and drying him off is a challenge. Then he butt tucks all over my bedroom.

The nails used to be a really huge issue and I thought it would be for his life, but we seem to have come to an understanding. Now I just hold a handful of kibbles and sit on the floor with him. If he lets me snip off a bit of nail I dispense a kibble. It really seems to be making nail cutting an easier thing...in fact the last time was pretty easy. The back nails are harder, he dances like somebody is shooting at his feet! :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm defenitely glad to know that I'm not the only one that's a bath nazi. People are always like, "YOU ONLY BATHE HER ONCE A YEAR?." They just dont understand. I'm thinking that we are going to do some fetching on the concrete, and she would probably like the water hose a bit.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
trying to find my old post about when I gave apollo his first bath. He peed everywhere and was actually trying to hang from the shower door! It was B-A-D ONLY professional groomers for me from now on lol. I wish I could find my old post, you'd get a kick out of it lol

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
We don't normally bathe our dogs, but they'll all cooperate if I say so. And fortunately, that's the same for nail cutting.

I took Hud to the groomer as a puppy once and he was definately upset when we got him home. Since found out he is deadly afraid of the blow dryers. So is Grace. So that could really bum your dog out if they do that kind of drying at the groomers and they are afraid.

The other day it rained and our new house has no landscaping. The girls decided they had PONDS in the back yard and went swimming in the mud puddles. I had to hose them off with the cold outside water. Made me love Maddy even more....she just stood here, no leash, and let me rinse her. When I did it with Grace, she was a little bucking bronco!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts