Just Labradors banner

Barney, What a Sneaky Fellow!

578 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Tundra Aries 
#1 ·
I have been working with Barney on his recall. Using treats he has gotten much better. When we come in from outside, even after they potty, they waste no time getting in so they can get their treat! Anyway, last night, we came back in and immediately, Barney acted like he had to go. When we went outside, he got a stick :whatever: and lay down in the grass. This happened twice. Now I know I need to wait a bit before letting them aout again for potty!

#5 ·
I learned when I was a middle school teacher, "Never let 'em go the first time they ask. If they really have to go, they'll come back and ask again."

Same with my dogs. When they go over to the door, I just tell them, "No, not now." Then if they really have to go, they'll come back to the door, or they'll start whining or something. If they don't have to go....if it's just a trick, they'll go lie down and go to sleep.

Hubby calls that "playin' us." And they are GREAT at it!!! :D

#6 ·
snowflake said:
I learned when I was a middle school teacher, "Never let 'em go the first time they ask. If they really have to go, they'll come back and ask again."

Same with my dogs. When they go over to the door, I just tell them, "No, not now." Then if they really have to go, they'll come back to the door, or they'll start whining or something. If they don't have to go....if it's just a trick, they'll go lie down and go to sleep.

Hubby calls that "playin' us." And they are GREAT at it!!! :D
Oh yeah, that's our boys, too! :laugh: When *they* think it's time to eat, they'll start asking to go out so they get us on our feet and moving - then they head towards the kitchen instead of the door. So, we tell them no the first time. If they really have to go, they'll start talking, or be very insistent ringing the bells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.