Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
bandit is nine month old yellow lab 120 pounds.seems to fall down alot going up or down stairs.appox 8
times. any one else have this problem?all med checkups were fine.
thanks rick.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
no offense, but what in the hell are you feeding him that he's 120 lbs at 9 months? Holy cow. Personally, I would guess it's because he's overweight that he's falling. That is not good for his joints to be carrying so much weight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
WOW nine months old and 120lbs. Maybe he grew to fast and his legs haven't caught up yet. Is he tall dog or just a big dog? My female lab used to be very clumsy until she got to be about 1 and 1/2 years old, especially when it came to stairs.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I agree with Dani. A 9 month old lab should be 1/2 that size and he's probably falling because he can't handle his weight. Get that boy on a diet pronto. I would cut his food in half (how much are you feeding him anyway?) and use green beans in his food is a filler.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi rick again
i should have giving you a little more info on bandit. bandit was rescured when he was appox 5 months
old by my wife and i. we never met the owners but knew of people that did we have all his papers
from the breeder in ri.we also live in ri on the papers it says bandit should waigh 130 when grown.
we belive he was abused before we got him becuse he was mean he had 3 broken toes and a broken
tooth. he cornerd my wife in a corner and bite me twice at first. we did hire a trainer to come to the house
to train him and now has become almost perfect we only fed him 2 cups of food twice a day natural
balance recommended by the trainer. natural balance beef pea size pieces only for training. he walks
twice a day and we bring him to the dog park on sundays to run with other dogs.
rick

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK wait, so he's a mixed breed lab or not?

we bring him to the dog park on sundays to run with other dogs.
How long is he running? That could very well be the problem. A 9 month old lab shouldn't
be doing any regular heavy duty running. His joints aren't completely formed yet and it could
damage them.

Can you show us a pic of the big guy? :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow, my lab is 10 months old and weighs only 75 pounds and the vet thinks he's a pretty big lab. What papers are you talking about that say what his final weight should be? ???

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
My lab is very clumsey on the steps and she's 3 and in good health she just doesn't pay attention to where she's going and is normally trying to race up/down them. When he's falling is he trying to run up the stairs or is he just walking and falling? If he's running I would try to slow him down and get him to walk maybe using a leash on him and not letting him on the stairs unless he's leashed. If he's just walking and falling I would be more concerned.

120 lbs does sounds pretty big but they are all different. Do you have any pictures of him you could post? 2cups of food a day is not that much for that big of dog so I don't think your over feeding him.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
no lab should ever be 130 lbs.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Dani said:
no lab should ever be 130 lbs.
I'd clarify it to say no well-bred lab should ever be 130#. With the pet bred ones, anything goes. Some of them are as big as ponies.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
You also posted in the introductions that your dog had now had a bowel movement in 2 days. Did you take him to the vets? Is everything okay? I also thought in your introduction it said he was 9yrs old, didn't realize he was only 9mths old.

120 lbs is really big and definately not within the breed standard. But it doesn't mean he might not really be that big. I would have to question the information from the rescue - it does sound like he might be mixed, but he's your pet so it really doesn't matter. If he is healthly that is the most important thing.

At such a large size and such a young age, he may just still be on the gangly side and that might be why he doesn't do stairs well? Just a thought.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes that was a mistake the big boy is nine months sorry for the mistake.he has gone to the bath room the
last 2 days.we were not very happy with our vet so we found a new one.bandit will be going tomarrow
at 3 after all the posts may be the scale was off iwill let you know tomarrow.
rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts