Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She can finally balance treats on her nose!! It only took 4 years ::)

Here she is with what we call her "appetizer." If she poops before dinner she knows she'll get one of these. Zoe can also balance smaller treats now, but it's hit or miss as to whether she can catch them when she flips them up.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just noticed that 2 of her front teeth look brown in the pic. :-\
But I just checked, and I think it's the angle of the camera. Her teeth are white. :)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
:)

Darwin can balance treats on his nose, but he doesn't "get" the flip and catch...he ends up flinging the treat about 10 ft behind him. Piper is brillant and as soon as she sees me about to put something on Darwin's nose, she sits 10 ft behind him ;)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Very impressive :)

applause....applause

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Very good Zoe but I must say you don't look too enthusiastic. More like, let's get this over so I can have my appetizer.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That is one smart girl you have there, Linda! :D

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Top Of The Hill said:
How did you go about teaching her that? I'm wondering what command keeps her still. We need to learn a new trick for part of our class activities. :laugh:

Very clever girl Zoe!
First off, I find that Zoe responds well when she's tired. Either in the middle of the day or after exercise. This is when I try to train to do "fancy-dancy" tricks.

Anyways, Zoe is known to balance anything on the top of her head. She can balance something small like my ring, to anything large, like a basketball! Command was "balance" If the held in on her head for even a second w/o moving...she received a treat.

We progressed to her nose. Not a simple task, as it's right in front of her where she can see it. Non-treat items are very simple for her since they're non-edibles. She can balance until I take the object off her nose.

Edibles are a totally different task. I started w/her nylabone. "Balance" "off"
Took the nylabone off her nose, and treated her w/a kibble.

When I started w/treats, she wanted to flip them immediately. I let her.. I just wanted her to be comfortable w/an edible on her nose. Slowly, I made her wait longer by putting my palms about an inch or so on each side of her face so that she would focus on me, and not the treat. "off" is her command.

"take it" is when she can flip and take. : )

There's someone else here who has her sig pic w/her black lab balancing and taking it. : ) Way cool trick. Perhaps she has a different method? If so, please hijack this thread and let us know!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Wow!! Way to go, Zoe!! ;D

Henery has still yet to master the balancing-on-nose trick. If I try to put a treat there, he keeps moving his head up, as if to say, "Hey Mom!! My mouth is down here!!" LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts