Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to make this banana bread for a while now and I can't ever get it to bake right! :-[ For instance, the recipe says 35 minutes at 350, but at 35 minutes, I check and the inside is raw. :-\ Does it have to be in the middle rack? And how do I get the top or bottom to not burn while the inside is still cooking? HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
IMO I would lower the rack and maybe put some aluminum foil over the top once its brown so that it doesn't burn while the rest is cooking. If all else fails try another recipe, I can get some to work and others I just never get right even though its the same food. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Just a guess here , but sounds like the temp in the oven is off - have a oven thermometer to check it with? If not, try reducing the temp 25 degrees and see if that doesn't help...

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I agree that your first step should be to make sure your oven temperature is correct.

G

·
Yep, sounds like the oven temp is off and maybe the loaf pan you are using might be a little light duty. I had one that was thin and used to burn the bottom of my stuff. I got a heavier gauge one and that helped. But the oven temp is key.

Also, some ovens have hot and cold spots. That can be an issue as well. I can't remember what my mom does to combat that in hers. A baking stone in the bottom to help distribute heat maybe....I'll try to remember to ask her.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't bake but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

SU bakes and when we moved she had tough time with her standard bake goods . If I'm not mistaken it was a difference in oven temps.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
It definitely could be the oven temp, but I can never get banana bread from scratch to work for me. I can make any other kind, but for some reason banana just does not turn out. Not sure if I'm using too large a banana, smooshing it too fine, or what. ::)

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have the same problem are you baking it in a loaf pan or a cake pan. I have found that it is better to bake it in a square cake pan The loaf pan always comes out a little raw in the middle unless you bake it for a long long time

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Agree, check oven temp, we got a new gas stove with digital, SU thinks it's right and has trouble. It is off and is lower than it reads and gets further off as the temp on the stove goes up. Never checked it, just know it's off, but since I cook with dutch ovens all the time I can gauge temp by how things cook. ;D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! :) I was thinking the temperature might be off too but I don't think I have an oven thermometer.

Posted on: Today at 11:10:54 AMPosted by: BoatDog
Just a guess here , but sounds like the temp in the oven is off - have a oven thermometer to check it with? If not, try reducing the temp 25 degrees and see if that doesn't help...
So if I bake it at 325 instead, it would just take longer to bake right? But not burn the outside to a crisp?

Posted on: Today at 11:09:59 AMPosted by: emccase
IMO I would lower the rack
I tried that but then the bottom got burnt! :-[

Posted on: Today at 12:34:02 PMPosted by: Halle and Mavericks Mom
I have the same problem are you baking it in a loaf pan or a cake pan.
I have it in a loaf pan.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
If outside is baked b4 inside - and no thermometer handy, I try same time, lower temp to see if that took care of it --- then, toothpick test for doneness and you can increase by 5 to 10 min increments as necessary...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts