Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reese has such bad breath. We haven't changed his diet and when I look in his mouth, his teeth all look healthy.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for making his breath better?

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
What type of food are you feeding? Have you looked way down to make sure he didn't get a stick or anything small lodged in the back? Does his urine and pee habits seem normal? Does he have things to chew on to help his teeth...nylabones, kongs, marrow bones? Just a few things to consider.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've had Reese to the vet recently and the vet didn't seem concerned at all.

He has kongs/nylabones/milk bones and it doesn't seem to do the trick.

His bowel/bladder habits are fine, lots of energy.

Do you really think it would be gum disease that could kill him? :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dog, Evan, has the same issue. I logged on to post to see if anyone had any suggestions. He's a healthy 5 yr old who gets to chew on marrow bones regularly. He eats Evo, and occasionally a raw diet.

The bad breath is recent. His teeth look pretty clean. I was going to have them cleaned last year when he was in for TPLO surgery but they wouldn't do it at the same time. During his pre- and post-op care, he ended up being sedated for x-rays four more times, and not enough to do teeth cleaning so I don't want to knock him out if it's not absolutely necessary.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions about what might cause this sudden bad breath? I suspect it could signify an underlying condition, but I suspect the vet won't have any particular tests he could do, given the lack of other symptoms.

Help.
Jocelyn

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find that when max as been given yogurts is breath is terrible for the next few days, he absolutely loves a yogurt and my husband gives them to him when im not in but i always no from his breath! strange cuz when he as a bit of curry is breaths ok! This looks like he just eats crap but hes a good lad and likes the leftovers :angel:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts