Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we are not home, anyway. He's been "free range" for over a year now, but we caught him getting on the new couch in the family room. Why do they do this? why? he has a few lovely, big, soft Costco beds. Huge, ugly crate back again in my rec room... *grumble*

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. No dogs on furniture here. He has 3 Costco beds. One on each level of the house. I hate crating him when we are out, I was so enjoying my free-range lab.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Why do they do this? why? he has a few lovely, big, soft Costco beds.
Because the couch smells like his peeps!! :)

Can't you just block that room off?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
If given the choice, I'd pick the couch over a dog bed too. My mom's dog is not allowed on the furniture either, but he would sneak when they weren't home. For a couple of weeks my mom put aluminum foil on the couch before she left, and he never got up there again.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, that is "his" room, the family/rec room in the basement. the laundry room, Steve's office, storrage room and hallway are all else that is down there, and I sure can't leave him in the hall. Upstairs main level is open concept, we don't have 'rooms' that we can block off up there at all, and it would be worse if he was getting on the living room furniture. This is new for him. I got the crate out for a few days for when we are gone again. I am hoping he prefers his freedom so when we leave him alone again un-crated, he'll stay off the couch. Ah, but dogs don't think that way, do they... too bad =(
I want my free range lab back.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If given the choice, I'd pick the couch over a dog bed too. My mom's dog is not allowed on the furniture either, but he would sneak when they weren't home. For a couple of weeks my mom put aluminum foil on the couch before she left, and he never got up there again.
I wonder if foil would deter Angus? worth a shot. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
nothing against you, T; but why are peeps posting about their dogs in O&E these days? i've noticed it a lot. <shrugs> guess some are opposed to L/C.

anyway, my dogs OWN the couch...wish that was the worst worry I had but with a two year old; i have to keep my eyes on Jax all the time or he will eat every thing in sight. this morning he took off with a roll of toilet paper. i had to laugh, though. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I noticed that too, Sandy. Some people just do don't LC, I think. I posted about Frankie over there the other day! *beams* :D

I like the aluminum foil idea AND the runner! I think either would work.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
You won't agree with me, but if it's his room, why can't he be on the couch? That's what he thinks, anyway.Especially, since it's in the basement. I struggled to keep mine off the new couch at first and then I just gave in and put a sheet over it. I'm not putting them back in crates after five or six years of freedom. I can always get a new couch, or an old one!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Ohhh Angus. I would think that the carpet runner would work.. I don't think I'd like to lay on that stuff!!

I wish I could have dog beds so the dogs wouldn't have to be on the furniture, but my cat likes to pee on dog beds, so that's a no go.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Ugh I hear you on the icky crate being out again! They're just so big and ugly and unsightly. And free-range labs are more fun :)

Jake has never even tried to get on the couch, so we're lucky there. Charlotte, however, whines and whines and then slowly tries to sneak up beside you. It's cute and all, but with my allergies and asthma we just can't have them on the couch, or I wouldn't even be able to sit there. She'll be a crate dog for life I think.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
He's been "free range" for over a year now, but we caught him getting on the new couch in the family room. Why do they do this? why? he has a few lovely, big, soft Costco beds.
My belief is that they're taking over for you in your absence.

My Bess always got on the couch when we were gone -- UNLESS we put chairs along the length of it to block her from doing it.

And, when I took her with me in the car, as soon as I got out, Bess immediately occupied my driver's seat.

Puff used to do the same thing for her first 4-5 years but now she usually tends to sleep in the back seat.

I think the spiked plastic runner is the best thing to try.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I don't ever go over to LC. Unless people mention their dogs here I never get updates!

We have a couch for me and Denny (theater seating) and an adjacent couch that is just for the dogs. We sit on it too, occasionally, but it's mostly for them. I don't keep the dogs off any furniture and probably couldn't if I tried. I'll probably find a dog in the bassinet or crib at some point...in fact, Denny and I have already been joking about it.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Plastic carpet runner placed upside down on the couch before you go. The little spikes are a deterrent.
Yeahhhhh. We tried that. It was carefully removed and placed on the floor.

Barrier training (where you condition the dog not to cross a particular object placed in his path) works, but is very, very time consuming and labor intensive. We ended up buying a throw blanket that we put on the couch when we're out of the house. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts