Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She isn't a labrador, or rottweiler, or another furry monster but a boston terrier. Cute little bugger. Anyway, we started puppy obedience and I have a question. How do you teach a dog to down without the two step, sit and down? I have only taught one dog to down without pointing to the ground and he basically self taught. Pixie (our new girl) amazed me with her first class, new place, new instructor and we did heel first. She did awesome, so I know down is coming up in a few classes. How do I teach her without the sit?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Tuck can "down" without a sit.. probably don't teach it WITH a sit, rather use the down command and if he gets it wrong, put him in a down and reward.

I don't think it was different than teaching anything else, really.. repetition and reward.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Oh.. if you're asking how to put them into a down without making them sit.. you do this on lead.. from a stand, gently pull the leash straight down toward the ground, it lowers their neck and forces them into a down position.. reward.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
what Kelli said. If you are making the pup go down from heel position you give the hand signal and the pull gently on the lead at the same time. I find a smelly piece of hotdog or chicken in the signal hand helps lure their nose to the ground... if they don't move their butt too the tug on the lead helps indicate what you want. BIG praise will get them doing this pretty easily........ Smelly treat and big praise always got Milly learning REALLY fast.

Sometimes at first it's hard getting all your hands right and your feet stopping right.. but eventually it gets a bit less confusing.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Or, off lead, you can take a tidbit of food and put it right your standing puppy's nose. Bring that piece of food down and back between the front paws (but not too far that it makes puppy back up), and that makes them do a very nice fold-back down. Once the pup is down, reward and praise. :happy:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh good ideas...Gus self taught down because he always play bowed when he wanted to play fetch...if I waited long enough he would lay down and I would say command word down and throw the ball. His down is so fast now. I am hoping Pixie will down the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts