Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am visiting my parents with my little dogs and they found a rabbit nest, three babies. I don't know what to do about the poor bunnies, I quickly rushed my dogs inside as I don't want them to be bunny killers but now how do I keep the rabbits safe and will the mom even come back now? I am going to be here for a few more days so I need a good solution. I feel horrible that my dog's found them and now may be responsible for their death. Will putting a small fence around the area be okay or will it scare the mom off?

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
If the babies are still in or near the nest, I'd let them be, maybe keep an eye out to make sure Mom returns. As for what to do while you're at your parents- I'd only take the dogs out on leashes. If you put a fence up, the mother may not be able to get back to the nest, nor want to (human interference).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a nest of baby bunnies last year that made their home in a wooden planter. Piper never found them but I was always worried as my back yard was small. I just made sure she stayed away from the area.

When I did some reading about the nest, I did discover that the mother rabbit usually only comes back in the evening. One suggestion I found to make sure that she was still coming back was to place a small X made of twigs or grass or over the nest area. When you go back out and look again you will be able to tell if it has been disturbed. I did that and it just made me feel better knowing the rabbits were still being taken care of as I rarely saw the mother rabbit.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Are the babies eyes open? Are their ears up? If so they are able to take care of themselves.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I checked the nest this morning and all three are still there...can't tell if mom was there but I assumed she came and fed them last night. They are tiny still and have their eyes shut. I will buy my dogs a tie-out cable so they can hang out in the yard without me worrying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts