Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Labs can be so stoic it is difficult to tell when they are pain sometimes. Baby has not wanted up on the bed in several months, does not get up on the couches much, does not play and does not run. We went for a walk downtown Saturday and just before getting to the car she started limping. She got up in the van on her own and did not limp again yesterday. Today she was hiding in the corner panting. Figured since it was clouding up she was getting vibes it was going to thunder. I was able to lift her up onto the couch for some attention. She jumped down on her own and went behind the couch. She was panting pretty good. She would not come when called but when I asked if anybody needed out she was the first one to respond. She was dragging her right rear leg, hopped to the door and down the stairs. Uh-oh. Vet time. By the time I had gotten my shoes she was back at the door laying down.

I carried her to the van and headed for the EV clinic. Very stoic and used her nose to get petted. At the clinic the nice vet lady manipulated her leg a lot and Baby responded only once to the movement. She flinched. No sound, no get away from me. Just ouch.

Vet decided it was a cruciate tear. Not a real bad one she said- she could move the bones but not a lot. She believes this is a damage to an existing injury, one we were not aware of. Baby is on Rimadyl and Tramadol until she goes back to her regular vet Thursday morning.

Baby is home back in her normal place and has had her first dose of meds. Keeping her quiet will not be a problem.

LD

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Poor Baby Girl! :( Hope this is something that can heal with time and rest. Prayers and good thoughts for Baby.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
my problem diagnosing pain was different.. i knew about her ruptured cruciate when i got her.. but she never limped.. In fact 4 days after both surgeries there were no signs of a limp. My girl is very difficult to monitor pain wise, because she just runs through it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Andy. I hate it when they "hide". It always means something's up. :( Hope BG is getting around a lot better soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts