Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We keep our lawn tractor and the "Gravely" (an all purpose gradening implement) in the third dog kennel, open on one end with a tarp over the top of the kennel. We knew that a wren had built a nest somewhere in the kennel, because we kept seeing them go in and out. We thought it was in the Gravely, underneath the tarp that we had covering it. We kept trying to find them without moving the tarp- but no go. Today SU is mowing the lawn and comes in and says "I have 2 bad things - one is that I'm out of gas, and the other is that the baby birds are "IN THE LAWNMOVER"! They are behind a plate behind the engine. We have been using this lawnmower for WEEKS, mowing lawn, pulling wagon fulls of wood, SU has mowed the hiking trails with it (all because we didn't want to disturb the nest in the Gravely!) He has even power washed it a couple of times. And all this time there was a nest of eggs, and now 2 baby birds about half grown in it! He managed to get the plate loose and pull the nest out. I took it and put in under the trap over the Gravely and hoped for the best. So far Mama and Papa wren have been going in and out, and making quite a fuss about the babies. I think they'll keep taking care of them, but now I wish I had taken a little more care about where I put the nest. I don't want to move it again, and at the time I just wanted to put them somewhere. I just cant' believe it!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
That's crazy! They must be resiliant little buggers if they've managed to stay in there while it's been in use all this time! LOL

A month back we kept opening our bbq to find all kinds of nest materials in there - seems some grackels were trying to make a nest there of all places!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts