Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was favoring his back leg last night and I gave him one of his pain pills thinking he just pulled a muscle. He was still favoring it this morning so I took him to the vet and he said he thinks its a torn cruiciate ligament. He told me he has to stay stable for a week. He doesnt own a crate anymore cuz we gave it away when he started being good around the house. So he is on rymadel and benedryl and has to get checked out again next friday then be evaluated to see if he needs surgery. eeks there is a 1,000.00 i wasnt planning on spending. poor guy, good thing is he has extra bones to chew on to keep him still....any other ideas?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I am sorry...hopefully the surgery will fix him up and he'll be good as new! Sorry I don't have any ideas. But know Axl is in my thoughts and prayers...

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Poor Axl. Sending good thoughts.
Is there anyone you can borrow a crate from or you might be able to find a good deal on one from Ebay.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He treats a crate like it something awful. We tried bring ours back up around christmas time trying to convince him to use it again since he hadnt been in one since he was about 6 months old. we tried throwing treats and stuff in there and he wouldnt even go in the room it was in. I think it will be easier on him after the weekend when we are gone back to work since i wont be here for him to want to follow me around.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh, poor baby! My Gracie ruptured her cruciate about 2 years ago when she was almost 5 years old. She is a real mellow girl, so the only time we used the crate was when we were not home with her and at night. She does not have any issues with the crate, so that wasn't a problem. Is there a small bathroom (or other small room) you can confine him to when you are not home? That will work just as well. When you are not there, all he is probably going to do is get up to shift position....he can do that in a crate too.

But with any luck he will not need the surgery and you won't have to worry about it! I hope that the surgeons in your neck of the woods are not as costly as they are here...the traditional fix runs about $1800 (that does not include followup x-rays or any physical therapy the dog may need) and the TPLO is about $3000. Gracie had the TPLO...we now refer to her as our moneypit! ;D But she is worth every penny of it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when we are gone during the day all he does is sleep so i am not worried about that. Axl is the most neurotic dog we have ever seen. totally freaks out about

stairs
car rides
getting weighed at the vet
carpet
vacumms
any loud noise
and i am sure i could come up with a few more. My vet said surgery is about a 1,000.00 which i pray he doesnt need because we are so broke right now. We have 2 in college and I am opening my own business wednesday and just went heavy into debt for that. so please everyone say a prayer that he mellow out for the next week and is fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
apparantly it is supposed to make him drowsy? I don't think its working so well though

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Axl. Sending good healing thoughts for him.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry to hear about Axl. My Gus just had TPLO last Wednesday and let me tell you I am exhausted. I can't imagine how Gus must feel. I surely hope that Axl doesn't need surgery. I would have loved to only paid $1,000.00. So far we are in for about $2,700.00 and that does not include followup x-rays or therapy. Gus and Zeke have never used a crate so our ortho vet suggested that we not force him into one now since he may get anxious and do more harm than good. We are confining him to a carpeted bathroom and using a baby gate so Zeke can't get to him. She was a little concerned that Zeke would go over the baby gate, but we will not have that problem with Zeke. If he had been the one having surgery instead of Gus we might have had an issue-Gus is my leaper-that is how he ended up having surgery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts