Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pay the extra few bucks and go see this movie!!! Good story line but amazing 3-D effects. My favorite was the very subtle effects like the rare seeds that were floating around. Previews for Alice in Wonderland has me stoked!

·
Registered
606 Posts
My husband and I also saw Avatar-3D over Christmas. We thoroughly enjoyed the movie and highly recommend it!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I thought it was one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen in a long, long time. Yes, the investment of $15 for 3DIMAX is absolutely worth it.

The story.... was a little thin. I thought the whole infiltration thing was extremely sketchy and hard to follow at first (especially how the Na'vi already know English, but I guess that plot contrivance was necessary). And the last half hour is utterly predictable. But by then, it won't matter, as you're so capitvated by the visuals.

Jake Sully harnessing his flying dragon was one of the most thrilling sequences I've ever seen on film.

That said, the script falls into a common trap. Sigourney Weaver's character referrs mockingly to someone as "Ranger Rick." It's 2154 for god'sake. What are the chances that a reference to Ranger Rick would still be common enough to be understood?

I was DYING for the character to whom the cut was made to turn to her and say "Who the hell is Ranger Rick?"

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Jason and Riley went to see it at the IMAX yesterday. They had to sit in the FIRST row. :eek:

I was in a bad mood when I got stuck in the 3rd row of a regular theater for Half Blood Prince. I can't imagine first row at IMAX.

Jason says they probably didn't enjoy it as much as they could have for that reason.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
We saw it on Saturday night. Really enjoyed it despite my issues with 3D. (My brain can't process it well and the action sequences gave me a headache) But I thought it was stunning.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
We had 4" of snow, my usual Sunday night dance was cancelled, so I saw Avatar to check what all the buzz was about.

IMO, many of the CGIs (Computer Generated Images) were stunning and worth the price of admission. I loved the animals, and especially the plants and plant-like creatures floating through the air like luminescent small jelly-fish/dandelion seeds -- as well as other vegetation. The floating mountains, forests, the flying creatures were marvellous. Those with fear of heights will engrave their fingerprints into the arms of their theater chairs.

I got tired of wearing the 3D glassess and having my eyes slapped so hard, so continually with 3D effects. For ME, except for the novelty of seeing some of it that way, it would've been fine -- even better -- to see it in 2D.

The story line was both kind of interesting but by far it's weakest part; it felt like it mainly served as an excuse to serve up all the special effects.

For the story, Cameron obviously used elements from many historical explorations of the more technologically advanced, "civilized world" taking, raping, the resources of native peoples -- oft repeated, whether with Incas, Aztecs, Carribean islanders, American Indians, African cultures (e.g., the Congo), Pacific Islanders -- wherever. His avatar characters (IMO) even resembled some facial features of North American Indians.

A key difference or variation: this time the natives, in successfully resisting exploitation, drove the intruders out -- albeit under the leadership of a defecting intruder and several of his compatriots.

Also, in quite significant ways, I thought Avatar echoed a great many of the themes, conflicts and outcomes in Miyazaki's animé film "Princess Mononoke" -- except Cameron does with CGI what Miyazaki did with hand drawn art. (If you've never seen "PM" I highly recommend it; not my favorite Miyazaki but it's very worthwhile and a deserved favorite of many.)

ETA Mononoke: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/

Since avatars are common in video games, I suspect Cameron may be playing on gamers' fantasy desires to make the transition to their avatar and leave their worldly bodies and abilities behind. (I notice on IMDb's discussion forum, some report seeing Avatar's 3D version 12 to 16X !!!! -- I suspect those are all video gamers.)

There were some plot holes.

The most bothersome to me was that whenever Jake was back in HQ sleeping, eating, reporting, etc., his avatar body was irresponsive -- functionally dead. For 3 months? For 90 days? Without causing suspicion or alarm to the Na'vi people???

The ultimate battle scene went on much longer (was it 2 hours? or 20 minutes? whatever) than I thought it deserved. How many war machines, how many explosions, collisions, how many plexiglas windows and bodies do I need to see pierced, blown to smithereens, when I already have little doubt of who's going to win? But maybe this is just some promotional teaser for the coming release of "Avatar on Pandora: the Video Game" ??

Interesting special effects = 10 stars

Story line, narrative, used as the vehicle to display said special effects = 5 stars

Probability of winning Oscars for either best picture, or best screenplay, or best director = <50%

Probability of setting sales records for the video game version, being a Na'vi avatar on Pandora = >99%

·
Registered
159 Posts
My wife and I saw it over the Christmas holiday, and we both enjoyed it. A lot of comments about the storyline are inevitable, but, I found it interesting to see corporations hiring mercenary armies to do their fighting/security, in order to exploit foreign lands, for their resources. I guess we all take something different from the same movie/song/book sometimes.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We saw it yesterday in IMAX3D. The special effects were stunning, but I would be happy to buy a DVD with 2D.

The story was so very much like Ferngully, I could predict the entire story line. That was a bit disappointing.

And, sadly, corporations DO hire mercenaries to get what they want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts