Just Labradors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the plastic screws on my back license plate has sheared off. It broke far enough in the hole that I cannot grasp it with any tool. I tried to use a sturdy knife impaled in the body of the screw to try to turn it out but all that did was create a little dimple in the plastic.

Is there any way I can drill it out or do I have to take this to a dealership to fix? I should add it was their plastic screw that came with their license plate holder and I'm pissed at them for using plastic. I called them up and they said I could go to their express mechanic area on Saturday and they can do it. However, they may or may not charge me based on how hard it is to get out.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Drill it and use an EZ out. If you have neither, see a mechanic. If I had to do this for you, I wouldn't charge. It's not a big ordeal and should take only a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If you have a drill and the same size bit then drill it out and replace with another screw. It will take longer to find a drill and plug it in then it will to drill out the old screw.

What year is the car, it may be under warranty.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I may have a drill bit but I know I don't have an EZ out. I'll have to look through the stuff that the ex left behind to see what's really available.

It's a 2002 vehicle.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Take a pic and post it of the broken screw if you can. Depending on the car, new plate screw inserts can be bought at an auto supply house (NAPA,Auto zone,etc) and easily installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts