Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm toying with the idea of planning a trip for sometime in the next year/year and a half. Obviously not in the immediate future as I have class and stuff... but I wanted to get a head start on getting some ideas on how long of a vacation to plan, what kinds of things to do/places to see, and an idea of cost... when a good time to go is... etc.

I would love some advice on where to get started. I like some adventure, but relaxation too. Love to see cool places and scenery... not that into the shopping (but definitely want to sleep in a bed every night lol)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
WOW! That would be a trip of a lifetime. My friends parents went for 2 weeks. They say going to Austraila is the equivalent of going to the US and thinking you can see everythig in one trip. NOT! Good luck luck to you. I hope to go there someday for sure.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You're going to want to go for at least 3 weeks.. i found it to be the perfect length.. as far as what to see.. i went to Melb and did the zoo thing but Phillip Island Penguin Parade was freakin' awesome! Other than that.. i think i was too drunk to remember.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 weeks huh? ... mmmmmmm

Is there a time of year that is better or times of year you should stay away from?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Don't come in winter come in Spring or Autumn, winter is wet and windy and Summer is stifling hot.

3 weeks is ok if you want to spend a week in each main state on the East Coast but if you want to venture to WA or Alice Springs or down to SA you'll need way more time.

Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane/Cairns are your 3-4 main tourist cities. If you come you must do the Great Ocean Rd in VIC, climb the Harbour Bridge in NSW, and visit the Great Barrier Reef and the Gold Coast in QLD.

But Australia has so many more things to see.

If you come to Sydney I can show you around. I will just take some time off work. Milly & I can be your tour guides!!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
As Sarah says. You need at least 3 weeks for the 3 main cities on the east coast. All Oz had so many great things. You would need a year to see the best stuff. It is a huge place and from the west coast Peth to the east coast is a long way.

Melbourne and Sydney have great shopping.I prefer Melbourne best as I like the way the city is set out.
Queensland is more beaches.

Or you could come to N.Z. Hint hint. lol. Even then 3 weeks is not quiet enough and we have a population the size of Melbourne. We have more of the natural hot springs, with lakes, moutains and beaches all closer as we are so small. N.Z. is greener.

eta. I got so carried away I forgot. If you come here you can stay in Wgton with me.
N.Z. is more laid back. Again smaller population. Auckland is busy.

Cost is about the same to fly to either country. Depends on what you want as to how much. Like the USA most touristy things are not cheap, but youare using US $$ so will be cheaper depending on the exchange rate. Better in N.Z. as our is higher.
Hotels/motels are around $120 per night and up. Sydney Melbourn that is pretty basic. Queensland a bit better. You can get cabins and things or if summer can tent much cheaper in N.Z.. We don't have snakes or poisnous things.
Cost of hiring a car is about $20 a day in Brisbane. More in the other cities.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay guys... 3 weeks is stretching it (no way I can do more than 3 weeks!)

I don't for a second think I could see "everything"... I'd be content to see one main place and really enjoy it than break my neck trying to see a million different things.

NZ sounds fun too.

I'd probably be traveling with someone (who wants to go on vacation alone)... just not sure if it would be Jenny or maybe Mike depending on timing and stuff.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
If you had 3 weeks you could stick to the 3 states and just get a domestic flight between the three which aren't too exy.
Remember if you drive in NZ or Oz you are driving on the other side of the road! fun fun...

You can't come to Australia and not see the Barrier Reef or Sydney Harbour.... I agree that shopping (and food!) is amazing in Melbourne.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
If you had 3 weeks you could stick to the 3 states and just get a domestic flight between the three which aren't too exy.
Remember if you drive in NZ or Oz you are driving on the other side of the road! fun fun...

You can't come to Australia and not see the Barrier Reef or Sydney Harbour.... I agree that shopping (and food!) is amazing in Melbourne.
I agree stick with one or 2 states as you would America. There are so many great things to see. You will have to see what you want best. It is a huge country. Depending on when you go flights between each state are around $150.00.
I have family in Brisbane ( was in Perth) Sydney and Melbourne so spend a lot of time there and travel between each state. I would move there, but prefer the out doors and quieter life of N.Z.. I live 5 mins from the city.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

I like some adventure, but relaxation too. Love to see cool places and scenery... not that into the shopping (but definitely want to sleep in a bed every night lol)

Any ideas?
Not so sure on the other states, but I can fill you in on what Victoria has to offer.
Best time to visit Victoria would be in Spring - weather is getting better by the day then and the Footy season is drawing to a close (Last Saturday of September is the AFL Grand Final, but any match prior to that will be almost as good).
Cool places - Melbourne you'll enjoy.
Its big, busy, great food and some fantastic views around the place (If the Rialto tower is still open - go there, hit the lift and enjoy Melbourne at night). When in Melb. during the footy season, attendance is a must.
Its also close to a few wine-growing areas if thats your thing.

Scenery:
In-land, the Grampians National park has some great mountain views along with good hiking / walking trails (Some are will take you an hour, some can last for full day) and the town of Halls Gap is smack bang in the middle of it with good accommodation.

Around the coast - the Great Ocean Road is all you'll need to consider.
If you're going to do it, set aside a couple of days at least, as there's a few walking tracks, some beautiful scenery and a lot of towns to stop in and enjoy.
Keep in mind though that driving the Great Ocean Road is dangerous, and kills an unlucky few each year. Both driver and passenger need to have had a good nights sleep beforehand, as falling asleep either leads to a dive into the sea, or kissing the rock walls on the side of the road - you'll also need to be able to deal with winding roads and sharp corners.

Let me know if you've got any questions, and I'll help you out.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
the Great Ocean Road is one of my favourite places on the east coast of Australia. We stayed at Apollo Bay when we were there last for New Years a few years back and it is totally divine. Most of our amazing pictures are from that part of Australia.

Don't forget the Ottway Treetop Walk! Amazing stuff!!

Noosa & Cairns are tied for second

and the Blue Mountains in NSW is third. Gosh I love the Blue Mountains.... there is an awesome day spa up there!!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yikes ... I'm lost in all this information. Definitely going to need some more research time.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
We live in a BIG country Lindsay. Maybe figure out what you might want to see and we can help guide you on how you can see that? We could keep throwing things at you for years.

(or go to NZ if that is your preference.. it is smaller hehe!)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
hehe!!! :D very excited that Milly and I might get to meet you though!!! that would be super awesome. keep us all posted!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts