Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so everyone knows I am fostering a lab puppy for a rescue group in the SE PA area. Miss Ginger has been with us for almost 5 days now.

For the most part, she has given Lexi a wide berth. Has not jumped on her or bit her, pretty much only sniffed at her. I would have thought Lexi would have started to warm up by now, but no such luck. Anytime Ginger gets anywhere near her, she grumbles & expresses her discontent. I've been giving Lexi extra attention, so she should not feel neglected or overlooked. Any visitors pay attention to Lexi first, then the puppy.

I don't get what is up with her. I would really like her to lose the attitude around Ginger.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
It just takes time with some dogs until they figure it out.. then you won't be able to stop them from playing bitey face 24/7.

Neither of them are food aggressive, are they? You could have then both right next to you and give treats when there is no snarling/growling..?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Justine!

Definitely, no food agression. Ginger has even managed to catch bits of treats Lexi has dropped & Lexi lets her have them.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Lola still does not think Daisy is all that fantastic. She tolerates Daisy, and Daisy has taught her how to play a little bit, but it took a good 3-4 months before Lola really paid any attention to her, and it's still sparse.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Give it time. Hey, we've had Remy for 2 years now and my golden still gives me that look every now and then that says "You still have the receipt for him, right?"

·
Registered
447 Posts
Give it time. Hey, we've had Remy for 2 years now and my golden still gives me that look every now and then that says "You still have the receipt for him, right?"
That is way toooooo funny!!!! You gotta remember....she has had only you...now she has to share. Dogs cannot interpet situations. They just react. She might not ever like temp house guest but as long as there are no agression problems I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it really bothers you and you feel like she is not as happy as she once was...then you might want to reconsider fostering. I would just take day by day. Just act normal and don't pay too much attention to it. The new guest might be stressing you out and your dog, it takes some adjustment. If you are worried on top of it about your dog's feelings it will only add more stress. Just relax and put everything in perspective. Deep breath in slow breath out! I would just treat Lexi the same as always. Let her know nothing has changed and go about your day as you normally would.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think she will come around eventually, Deb. She has just been the only child for SO long that it's going to take some time. And who knows? maybe before you rescued her, she put up with a nasty sibling and had a bad experience?
Plus, you are her entire world and I'm sure she doesnt feel like sharing.
Cant wait to meet Ginger!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
My first lab Casey did not love having other dogs around. When other dogs or puppies...especially puppies came over she would go to the opposite end of the house and ignore everyone. We never had another dog when I had Casey, but I am sure she would have warmed up over time. Lexi will be fine just give it time..Good luck:)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
LOL that is sooo funny, I can perfectly do the comparison to the typical house where they first have a baby girl that is just a model of good behaving, calm and friendly, and then the parents bring up a little brother that is a total PITA... They´re like "mooom, can´t you take him back and change him for another girl"

Three weeks ago I brought my parent´s shih tzu pup overnight with us. Homer was totally obsessed with her pokin his black big nose all over the little fur ball. Misha was on the other hand incredible with the pup, wouldn´t overwhelm her but invite her to play.

What I see with my dogs is that whenever I bring a visitor home Misha will give a "welcome" growl but then they just all become good friends, even a friend´s Dobermann that came last sunday became friends with them pretty quickly. Probably dogs that live alone have a harder time accepting newcommers than dogs that already live in a pack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts