Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The KU Alum/Faculty-Staff division (I'm an associate mbr) has a weekly program dealing with computers & computer related issues.

This morning they had the first of two programs on a world-wide genetic ("Genographic") research project tracing the origins and spread of the Homo Sapiens species of which we're all members.

According to the best current knowledge, all present day humans originated in Africa around 200,000 years ago (in an area now the home of the !Kung (San) Bushmen). From there, our ancestors migrated out about 60,000 years ago into the Middle East, various routes through Europe or Asia, Australia, etc.

There's now a world-wide genetic research project going on which collects genetic samples (by means of painless swabbing inside the cheek) from as many individuals as possible all over and analyzes them. People send these swabs in to a laboratory, the mitochondria from these samples are analyzed, and a report is sent back to the individual with information on that person's heritage which includes a map showing the specific route of one's specific ancestors out of Africa. All results are completely confidential.

Our presenter showed the differing results he and his wife received from sending in their samples.

The cost to participate is about $100 to get the kit and be sent the individual results.

The National Geographic and IBM are co-sponsors of the project.

For more details including how to participate, the kind of information and report you'd get back, click on the link below:

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/lan/en/participate.html

ETA: males can choose between getting a mitochondria analysis (revealing mother's heritage) or Y-chromosome analysis (father's heritage) or both (at a 10% discount for the second analysis). Similarly, females can have their mitochondria analyzed (mother's heritage) and/or get swabs from their father or brother and have their father's Y-chromosome heritage analyzed; (both at a 10% discount for the second analysis).

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Interesting. I wil' save the 100 bucks because for 10 dollars I can map the route from Africa to the first pub in Ireland where my ancestors stopped and never left.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
That is pretty cool. Do you think it is more informational to get mitochondrial evidence? I haven't heard of doing the y-chromosomal analysis before. My grandmother is into geneology...I'll share that link with her.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I think it's interesting that in this age when people pause before giving a credit card number on a Website, they'll gladly hand over their DNA to a total stranger. And pay $100 for the honor.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
What out if you find out you have Shih Tzu in your genes? That happened to Paula's BIG dog, remember?
j/k, Bob... j/k

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I think it's interesting that in this age when people pause before giving a credit card number on a Website, they'll gladly hand over their DNA to a total stranger. And pay $100 for the honor.
Or have there kids finger printed for Disneyworld. I recall that being a request of Disney at one time.

My conspiracy theorist side of me says you can have my DNA when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
This has been around for a couple years. My geneology motivations are a lot more recent. I am simply trying to get back past 1800 currenlty.

If anyone is interested in the depth and breadth of their ancestry, and currently living family, I would suggest entering everything you currently know and building a tree on geni.com. Free, although they will attempt to sell you a 'professional' level. What happens is other people eventually try to research their own heritage and often matches are found and tree just keeps on growing. My wife and I, with the help of parents, aunts, uncles, managed to put together approximately 1200 names. I put those trees up on the web and every year around holidays, I get contacted by other relatives that find it and we manage to add a few more. The total is now over 1700 names. Okay, the family roots are in agriculture (farming) and 9-12 kids were pretty common about 3 and r generations back. That makes for a lot of cousins all over the world.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Interesting. I wil' save the 100 bucks because for 10 dollars I can map the route from Africa to the first pub in Ireland where my ancestors stopped and never left.
Maybe we're related! Primordial ooze in Africa to a pub next to a peat bog in western Ireland with not a lot in between and not that much since.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't believe that all homo sapiens orginated out of Africa. I think humans were populated throughout the earth and various lineages will bear this out.
I also do not believe in evolution (in so far as man came from apes).

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I don't believe that all homo sapiens orginated out of Africa. I think humans were populated throughout the earth and various lineages will bear this out.
Bob just started to twitch a little.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What's the worst they can do with a cheek swab?
Our presenter told us that it's VERY important that anyone submitting samples keep their 12? alpha-numero-character password they send you so you can get updates as new information is available.

It's something like LXDIRM739024.

You must enter that in order to get the updates; your name won't cut it.

If anyone is interested in the depth and breadth of their ancestry, and currently living family, I would suggest entering everything you currently know and building a tree on geni.com. Free, although they will attempt to sell you a 'professional' level. What happens is other people eventually try to research their own heritage and often matches are found and tree just keeps on growing. My wife and I, with the help of parents, aunts, uncles, managed to put together approximately 1200 names. I put those trees up on the web and every year around holidays, I get contacted by other relatives that find it and we manage to add a few more. The total is now over 1700 names. Okay, the family roots are in agriculture (farming) and 9-12 kids were pretty common about 3 and r generations back. That makes for a lot of cousins all over the world.
EXCELLENT, Ed!!

I know of nothing more worthwhile than understanding one's family through the process of not only constructing one's family tree but also one's genogram which includes on the map (the tree) the alliances, conflicts, cut-offs, occupations, attitudes, aspirations, misfortunes, etc., for family members for at least 3 generations back.

Monica McGoldrick's book "You Can Go Home Again" (Amazon, <$15) is an excellent DIY guide for beginning this exploration.

Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin
Bob just started to twitch a little.
Naw!

People are free to believe in Adam & Eve, evolution or no evolution, Creationism, Intelligent Design, etc.

Just don't mandate one view.

And don't insert religious views into the teaching of science. Many religious people have no problem with a belief in science and evolution.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
As always science and religion have a difficult time explaining the Irish.
Well that don't surprise me one bit, but I can.

BTW, March 17th is coming up, I need to find my orange bandanna to wear that day. You'd be surprised how many green beer drinkers can't figure that one out.:pound:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
But still trumpeting evolution. Which flies in the face of your call for multiplicity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts