Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "took custody" of my "grandpuppy" Sadie when my son broke up with his girlfriend and neither had the time or space for her. Sadie is 2 years and 3 months old, 80lbs of sheer sweetness. I'm confused about how long she is considered a puppy and I've been told her "puppiness" can last for up to 4 years. I'd appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Well, techinicaly they're considered an adult when they turn two. But someone forgot to tell Labs that. One of the beauties of the breed is that they act like puppies forever, although they do start mellowing out at around 2 or 3.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My girl Abby is 5 and is still going like a pup, but she also has her brother Bo the obnoxious boxer pup who's almost two who keeps her on her toes

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
As you see, Labs acting like a puppy -- joyful enthusiasm, playfulness -- can last anywhere until age 4 to 10+ years, depending on the particular Lab. Most Labs of the breed need daily vigorous exercise to be civil the rest of the day. Daily leashed walks are very seldom sufficient for most. Retrieving a training dummy or a tennis ball slung by a "Chuckit!" -- or swimming retrieves from a pond or pool help a lot. If you have a dog park, playing with other dogs and retrieiving there helps. Or maybe neighbors with friendly dogs and fenced yards so the dogs can have playdates? Depending on how vigorous the exercise, 40-60 minutes/day may be sufficient.

With my Puff, we walk 2 miles early every morning in a nature preserve where she runs offleash for 40 minutes. I bring a training dummy which I sling for Puff to fetch plus also drop on the trail and send her back to retrieve. We do this 20-30X and that seems enough, for Puff, to wind down her rubber band motor for the rest of the day.

You can look at Petsmart, Petco, or Amazon for the "Chuckit!" thing that helps you sling tennis balls farther; while they also have training dummies, their quality is poorer and priced much higher than those from www.gundogsupply.com We prefer the 2x12" "Lucky Dog" brand and buy 3 at a time.

Happy years with Sadie -- she'll become the love of your life.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It really does depend on the individual dog. Koko is 6 and very very calm and laid back. She does not need "daily" exercise to calm her. Although I do exercise her everyday, that is more for weight management and because she enjoys it. We will either take a walk or play long distance fetch or I take her down to the river. Good luck!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Agree that technically they are adults at 2 years. The fact that they retain puppyishness is one of my favorite traits. Our black lab retained that quality until she was 11 or so. Such a joy she was and my best buddy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What a nice dog-mom you are! My girl is 2 now, and I've seen a big improvement in just the last couple months in her temperament settling down. But as for outgrowing puppyhood???? Don't hold your breath! :) But seriously, that's the best part of em!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts