Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped and bought a tank of gas while we were out. Tal is in the Jeep and I am right there..I noticed a man walking up and thought he was going to the car at the next set of pumps so didn't think anything of it. So uncharacteristic of Tal he growled really deep...never heard this type before, hackles up. WHoever this was stopped and looked at us (I have my debit card out about to pay there at the pump) and then turned and walked away.

Tal never behaves that way around people. Right after that there was another man came to that same car from the store, got in and left. Tal was just wagging his tail like come play ok?? wanna play, huhhuh...

If I had any doubts about whether Labs in general, and Tal in particular, are protective if they sense something is awry, I no longer have those doubts.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Interesting! He sensed something wasn't right, didn't he. Good job Tal, and good observation dad!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've had Haylee do that on occasion as well -- most people she has no problem with and thinks they are her best friend; however sometimes she is very leary of people and will react as Tal did -- I think they can sense when someone might not have good motives -- good boy, Tal -- you keep protecting your daddy!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am waiting for the day that Sadie does something like this. It would really be interesting to see her react to someone in a way other than PLAAAYYYY!! ;)
It's great to know that your dog has a good judge of character though isn't it? It's really is interesting that they are rarely wrong when it comes to humans.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WeHeartLabs said:
Good boy, Tal

aidan has done this on occassion...only to men
Tal has done it only once to two girls...and I still have no idea why...but other than that the only ones he even comes close to this behavior is men.

I hate to say it but I don't think it is necessarily that the dog is leery of men (Tal certainly isn't) but that most assaults and robberies are committed by the less noble members of my gender. But that's a topic for O&E I guess..

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Good boy Tal! Sammi does the same thing, especially if its our daughter or I walking her. Seems to just have a since for some one that might be someone we need to be watchful of. Most of the time she is happy go lucky, wag butt lab, but she knows, she just does!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Maggie and Daisy have yet to show any un-easiness toward strangers yet. Maxie, my black F of 14 years would do this on occasion. I always thought she had the uncanny knack of judging character. I have to admit she was correct more times than not.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
That's interesting for sure. I had Jordan and Yeller do this one time when I was at the local conservation area with them. It was a June day, and the "beach" was deserted. A man came by on his bicycle, and the two of them went berserk. Hackles up, deep throat growling and even a few deep warning barks. I was more scared by their actions, then by the man, but later I got thinking "What if..." Who knows,and thanks to those two, I never had to find out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed the same thing with certain people, Most receintly I was at logan airport and asked the parting attendant, That I just was picking someone up and NOT parking, He kept sayt Terminal B parking, in a comedic foregin voice, Well at least the kids thought it was funny, Mercedes flipped out in the back of the van, Luckly the whole thing lasted about a min.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts