Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This an icky thread, so don't read any farther if you have a sensitive tummy!

Teddy, my 2 year old, is a poo eater. I have tried everything to get him to stop. He just finds new ways to get to the poo before I do. Hurk.
And before you say pick it up--I do!! I am out there every morning before daylight with a flashlight following them around, pooper scooper in hand. And every afternoon, and evening.
He initially only ate Jefferson's poo. A poo connoisseur if you will. As I beat him to Jefferson's poo more consistently (he races me to it, and he is faster!) he has taken to eating his own, Again HURK!! Now with two and often three dogs here, I can only pick up so fast. They all seem to want to poo at the same time. So if I pick up Teddy's first, he will beat me to Jefferson's. If I pick up Jefferson's first, he turns around and eats his own.

I hate when he has poo breath. I hate when he comes in and belches big nasty poo belches. I have gotten to the point that I don't want him near me when he does this. The days where he hasn't snacked on poo are very few.

How can I make him stop??

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Would it be possible to take the dogs out separately? That way, after one goes, you clean it up, then move on to the next dog. Or, just take Teddy out separately from the other dogs, since he's the one with the problem! That seems like the simplest way, if a bit time consuming. Or maybe take Teddy to a different area of the yard and clean up after him immediately.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Maybe get a muzzle and don't let him out without it on.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Somebody has to be taken out alone to p&p, then back inside when the others are taken out. I would'nt want to have to do it, but it might help.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Here's another idea, too. If you want to take them out all at once, keep Teddy on a short leash attached to you. That way, he can't get to Jefferson's poo while you're cleaning up his, or vice versa. He needs to know what he is doing is wrong, and that you're in control.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was taking them out separately for a while. That is when Teddy decided his poo was better than no poo at all. Before that he only ate Jefferson's.
And Jefferson HATES me following him around. He wants his privacy. He will actually hold it until I think he isn't going to go and then he will run behind a bush and poo. Sigh. This wasn't such a problem until Teddy started this poo eating. This is a recent behavior--well relatively recent, like about 9 months ago.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Then take them out separately with Teddy on a leash. As soon as he poops keep a tight harness on him, or use a muzzle like Betsy suggested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a powder that you can sprinkle on their food that is supposed to make their poo a bit more 'unsavoury'....(I've never heard 'hurk' until now, but I so love that word). I cannot recall the name of it right now, but I'm sure you can find it in any pet supply store/catalogue.

I just found my puppy munching cat turds yesterday....HURK!

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
I hate that crap . lol On the serious side I have one to , he is 8 . I guess once a poop eater always a poop eater . :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a powder that you can sprinkle on their food that is supposed to make their poo a bit more 'unsavoury'....(I've never heard 'hurk' until now, but I so love that word). I cannot recall the name of it right now, but I'm sure you can find it in any pet supply store/catalogue.

I just found my puppy munching cat turds yesterday....HURK!
Yep, hurk describes my reaction perfectly.

And I've tried all kinds of things added to his food. Added to Jefferson's also. Nope, didn't deter Teddy at all.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Another thing that might help is to take them for a short walk first thing in the AM (or PM, whenever they usually poop) and get them used to pooping on walks. That way they're both on leash and you don't have to worry about poo eating.

My guys poop on walks probably 85% of the time, Peanut most of the time will refuse to poop unless she is taken for a walk. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only problem with that is that Jefferson won't poop on a walk. As I said, he likes his privacy. He hates pooping while on a leash. I can walk him and he will just hold it until we get back home. Teddy on the other hand will poo anywhere, anytime.
I guess I will have to go back to taking them out separately. And try to keep Teddy away from poo as much as possible.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I broke Morgan as a puppy by meeting him at the door with a toothbrush = that had people tothpaste on it - worked in 2 tries - he HATED it!...just a thought.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I feel your pain. Seriously, I do. One of my 3, a sweet young thing who turns this house upside down every day, believes that the world's greatest delicacy is her big brothers' excrement. *gag*

We tried everything--Deter, pineapple, Fig Newtons, cayenne pepper, yelling at the poop (yes, that was fun and interesting:rolleyes:) Nothing worked.

So now, they go out separately. Yes, it is a pain in the a**. But, it prevents anything undesirable being ingested. You will need to go out with Teddy, to stop him from having a snack on his own.

Or, as Betsy recommended; buy a muzzle.

Good luck! I wish there was an easy answer. :eek:

Oh! I almost forgot--Murphy, my big guy is a very private dude. But he learned, quite quickly, to p&p on leash. Get a flexi--it gives them a big more 'space'.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel your pain. Seriously, I do. One of my 3, a sweet young thing who turns this house upside down every day, believes that the world's greatest delicacy is her big brothers' excrement. *gag*

We tried everything--Deter, pineapple, Fig Newtons, cayenne pepper, yelling at the poop (yes, that was fun and interesting:rolleyes:) Nothing worked.

So now, they go out separately. Yes, it is a pain in the a**. But, it prevents anything undesirable being ingested. You will need to go out with Teddy, to stop him from having a snack on his own.

Or, as Betsy recommended; buy a muzzle.

Good luck! I wish there was an easy answer. :eek:

Oh! I almost forgot--Murphy, my big guy is a very private dude. But he learned, quite quickly, to p&p on leash. Get a flexi--it gives them a big more 'space'.
I am continuing to go out with them. And started taking them out separately again.
If it wasn't so awful, it would be funny to watch Teddy run around and try to find Jefferson's poo. He KNOWS Jefferson has poo-ed but can't find it. He frantically races around the yard, sniffing like mad, checking all Jefferson's favorite poo places. I think he is a poo addict.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
He KNOWS Jefferson has poo-ed but can't find it. He frantically races around the yard, sniffing like mad, checking all Jefferson's favorite poo places. I think he is a poo addict.
Hahaha! She (Piper) gives her bros the big sniff-down when they come back inside. I swear she knows what they did and stores it away in her doggie-memory for searching the next time she is out.

She, too, races around the yard--hitting every nook and cranny, in search of the (now) elusive poop. You are right, if it wasn't so disgusting, it would be funny.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Our beagle was a poo eater. We sprinkled a little Adolph's Meat tenderizer on her food and it helped. She would start back up again once in a while and we would use the Adolph's for about a week and she would stop again for quite a while. Not sure if that works for every dog, but it worked for us.

yelling at the poop (yes, that was fun and interesting)
That made me chuckle.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I have an off again on again poop eater too. I tried everthing - pineapple juice, fig newtons, deter, (like Anne, yelling at the poop) yelling at her. She seems to want to eat it most in winter, not sure why. I hate it. The only thing that I can do is get out there with them and pick up as they poop, which in a snow storm, I'll admit to not doing.

It's frustrating when there seems to be naught you can do to stop it.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Cricket is a poop eater. Loves snacking on Lucy's poops.
If I want to prevent it, I have to clean up right away. Not so easy in the winter.

No advice, just total sympathy. It is a horrible habit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts