Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the day off work today. Just because. So, the project d'jour was to paint the kitchen hutch which Tudor built for us years ago. Goal? Take it from forest green to bright glossy white. No problem, paint on hand from last year. Hmmm... here's the can I want. The really glossy glossy enamel.

LORD! The fumes! I only got the small top shelf of the hutch done when I realized I was going to pass out from the fumes! It was the oil base enamel we used for another project but the can is not marked "oil base".

I shut that can up in a hurry, opened more windows and the back door, found the latex enamel. Then I ushered myself and all the dogs out to the back yard to work in the fresh air for about an hour.

I'll have to finish the project tomorrow and Sunday but at least we won't be staggering around here wondering where our brains went!

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Make sure you take some sandpaper and rough up the part you painted with oil base, prior to putting on the latex or it may not stick too well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
I really never worked with that oil based paint, but heard from others how the fumes can make one feel sick. These weekend work projects are a learning experience. Tomorrow I finish my Laundry room, not oil based.........just latex semi-gloss.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,597 Posts
Glossy oil based paint really does have a strong smell. I had painted the baseboards only in my son's room and he had a headache for a week from the fumes...nasty stuff!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Nance, If the hutch isn't too heavy and the weather is nice, haul it outside and paint. Then, you can breathe fresh air and aren't over taken from the fumes. Glad to see you tackling all the undone projects. Tud is surely looking from above and cheering you on. Love you Nance.
Ginny
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top