Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:

NEW YORK -- Gilbert Arenas tried joking about his gun trouble. David Stern found none of it funny.

Arenas was suspended without pay Wednesday by the NBA commissioner, who determined the player's behavior made him "not currently fit to take the court."

A day after the Washington Wizards guard was photographed before a game in Philadelphia pointing his index fingers, as if they were guns, at his teammates, Stern warned the former All-Star that his conduct will "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

Arenas is under investigation by federal and local authorities after admittedly bringing guns to the Wizards' locker room. Stern originally planned to wait to take action, but he tired of Arenas' behavior.

On Tuesday, a day after meeting with law enforcement officials, Arenas said he feared Stern more than the authorities because the commissioner was "mean."

Though Arenas first apologized Monday for his poor judgment and promised "to do better in the future," he also joked on Twitter about the incident and the media firestorm it created. That was exactly the wrong tact for Stern, whose league has taken another public relations hit.

"The possession of firearms by an NBA player in an NBA arena is a matter of the utmost concern to us," Stern said.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," Stern said in a statement. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

With each game he misses, Arenas, who turned 28 on Wednesday, will lose about $147,200 of the $16.2 million he will earn this season in the second of a six-year, $111 million contract. As of Wednesday he had $9,429,505.41 remaining for this season.

Successfully voiding contracts is rare in the NBA, so the Wizards plan to wait until the legal process plays out to see what penalties Arenas is assessed before deciding whether to press ahead with any formal attempt to void Arenas' contract, one source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I don't know what is more disturbing: The fact that he brought guns to the arena, the fact that he laughed about it, or the fact that the other players laughed about it too. That photo is distrubing on so many levels. This is why I hate professional basketball.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what is more disturbing: The fact that he brought guns to the arena, the fact that he laughed about it, or the fact that the other players laughed about it too. That photo is distrubing on so many levels. This is why I hate professional basketball.
I agree.

Over paid and arrogant spring to mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts