Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jersey acts like I am pouring acid on him when I try to apply the Frontline!! It doesn't matter what goodie I hold in front of him, he squirms like crazy and I end up getting it all over his back (around his shoulderblades)! Any other "Fronline hating labs" out there?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I give Zoe a chew, not a treat. While she's chewing away, I apply the frontline. Can you try a chew?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zoesmom said:
I give Zoe a chew, not a treat.  While she's chewing away, I apply the frontline.  Can you try a chew?
The little bugger will just back away from it until I'm done and THEN go back to chewing! LOL.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
neither luke nor taylor seem to react one way or the other about getting frontline.
i just go up to them when they are standing, part the fur between the shoulder blades, squeeze, and that's it. they hardly seem to notice anything happened.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bailey's fine until she smells it, then she moves like we're pouring acid, too. It doesn't matter what treat we hold in front of her. it takes both of us and we've still gotten it all over her, the floor and us sometimes.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
We have Advantix fearing labs in our house ;) As far as they're concerned I'm trying to kill them with a small white tub of liquid

·
Registered
246 Posts
Shadow doesn't care what I do to him.He is such a wonderful dog in many ways.Now my Lab mix,she acts like I am trying to murder her.Then after I finally get it on her,she shakes as if she just got a bath,shooting some of the frontline all over the place.Next time I put it on them,I am going to do her a little at a time so it all stays on her.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I have only put it on Tal once yet and he was already hyper. He didn't seem to notice the Frontline and next application I am gonna wait until he is into his chew before applying it.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Puff wasn't that pleased to have me apply it at first but I store her unused doses of Frontline Plus in the fridge.

I thought the cold temp might be a factor so before applying it, I now put the dose package into a bowl of body temp water for about 10 minutes.

That seems to have solved a lot of the reactivity problems.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
The main problem I have with Frontline is that there's a lot of it. And Theo's coat is so dense and woven that it's hard to get it to penetrate to the skin. It always seems like half of it just ends up sitting on top of his neck and rolling down.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Morgan also afraid of the acid i'm pouring on him-what i do is get out a comb to distract him and start combing him-let him relax then on sneak it on between his shoulder blades-we're good until he smells it-then time for a walk

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My guys are fine with it. Tucker's coat is so smooth that it immediately starts running :-\ It's quite annoying!!

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I give Brigetta a treat and then stand over her so she's between my legs then I quickly separate the hair and apply it. She's usually so confused as to why I'm squeezing her between my legs, she really doesn't notice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The first time I applied he was fine (and a lot younger-smaller). The second time he gave me hell... So I tricked him. I started scraching behind his ears with my finger, he relaxed, and then I started scraching with the Frontline tip.

T

·
0 Posts
I usually apply it at night, right before she goes into her crate. She's usually tired anyway so she's not really fazed by it. I also like to do it this way since I know my kids won't be petting her for at least 8 hours.

By the way I've found this to help -- I part her hair w/ a comb so that I'm actually applying to the skin and not just on top of the fur.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yep, Troy and Sammie both run as I always do it outside. Always hate that time of month. :p BTW does everyone use the frontline all year long?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts