Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the story with dogs and applies. Mr. Parker got some of mine the other day and seemed to LOVE it. Are apples okay for dogs and do I have to peel it or core it? Just wondering.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Apples are fine. Too much of the seeds are said to do bad things to dogs...but that is a lot of seeds. My boys usually eat the whole apple if they find them on the ground in the yard. If I'm eating them at home, I'll give them a slice or two, skin on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I give apples to my boys in their food twice daily. Its the seeds you dont want them to have, but like above said...My golden would lay under the apple tree and just devour them...He lived to be 14.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Java and Moka LOVE apples.......I peel it and core it though. Sometimes I'll cut one up and mix it with a little peanut butter and use it to stuff their Kongs.
They get apples, bananas, green beans, peppers, peas, tomatoes, carrots...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Lexi loves apples, but like others have said she only gets the fleshy part & the skin, no core or seeds.

They get apples, bananas, green beans, peppers, peas, tomatoes, carrots...
OMG, that sounds like Lexi, she will eat just about anything I offer her. She loves apples, green beans, broccoli, carrots, peas, tomatoes, strawberries. Thus far she has only turned down 2 things, bananas & jell-o.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
OMG, that sounds like Lexi, she will eat just about anything I offer her. She loves apples, green beans, broccoli, carrots, peas, tomatoes, strawberries. Thus far she has only turned down 2 things, bananas & jell-o.
Tomatoes are Java's ABSOLUTE favorite. She will stop dead in her tracks for a tomato. The only thing she has turned down so far is lettuce.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HK eats a lot of apples when our two trees start dropping fruit. I was concerned and this subject has come up before.

After lots of discussion and arguments here, I contacted the U of MN Veterinary School and asked. The short answers were.
The seed do contain arsenic, fact.
The dog's digestive tract will not digest seeds unless the seed is crushed.
It would take approximately a bushel of SEEDS to harm a 60 lb dog, assuming the dogs crushed the seeds.

Side note: Commercial apple cider and apple sauce has lots of crushed seeds in them and cyanide is poisonous the humans also. (That was from the U, not of my creation.)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes, the seeds do contain cyanide. According to what I've read, the seed coats are very hard and will pass through the digestive system intact, cyanide still contained. But still...cyanide! Yikes! I would give them apples but not seeds, because that scares the **** out of me!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Afie lovs apples whole, the seeds contain sionide (spelling?) but only release if they are crushed..im sure Alfie swallows them whole though lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts