Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HK has been so good at the house, staying on the property, or great recall should she wander off, for almost a year.

I wasn't paying attention Monday and she wandered across the street to the neighbors house, I didn't see her and she didn't return on the first recall. She did come meandering back on the 3rd or 4th recall, obviously chewing on something. It was gone by the time she got to me, but I smelled an aroma of apple so didn't make any big deal of it.

Every time she was taken out yesterday, and this morning, it was bee line across the street to the neighbors apple tree. I don't know what you call the the little apples that fall off the trees before fully developing, but the tree is dropping these small apples, about the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece. HK is nuts for apples and she is over there to scoff down as many as she can find. Calling her back is a waste of time. Looks like the collar is going to have to go back on until she figures it out. The amazing part is that I don't need the transmitter, she just behaves when the collar is on.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
****, Ed... start feeding HK more, then she won't need to go snack on those baby apples in the neighbor's yard. :D

Seriously, I know what you mean about the collar & them listening. I got sort of lazy earlier this year & did not bother to put her IF collar on her. She did great for a long while & then *boom* stopped listening. Also decided one day to cross the street, not once but twice, to see my neighbor who she adores. :eek:

After that the collar went back on without delay, I don't need her doing that in front of an on-coming car because the morons in my neighborhood do not do the speed limit & heaven forbid they be expected to slow down. :mad:

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer loves those little apples too. Our downtown is lined with apple trees, and Bauer tries to pick up every apple he sees when we walk. Bauer is the same with the IF collar; we don't have the fence turned on, but if he is wearing the collar he won't leave the yard.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Shadow was like that with our neighbor's apple tree. If there were not enough apples on the ground to suit her, she'd pick her own! :) It was a dwarf tre, and had been bumped by a car at one time, so it leaned so far to one side that the branches nearly touched the ground. Shadow loved to crawl under there in the shade and chow down on apples.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
My dog when I was a child developed a whopper of an upset stomach from eating windfall apples. Watch out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts