Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Angus is crazy about apples. Anytime I peel one he's right there, wagging & staring (ok, he does this no matter what I'm preparing, but especially with apples.) Is it ok for him to eat an apple core? I dropped one today & he grabbed it & took off. I can't imagine it would hurt him. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I wouldn't make a habit of it, since apple seeds contain arsenic. That being said, we used to have an old apple tree in the back yard, and J&A would steal apples all the time, cores and all.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
CoCo loves apples too, and we have a pear tree in the back yard that she will eat the fallen fruit from in the fall.... I seem to recall seeing pics from one of the breeders here who would give her dogs a whole apple as a treat?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jax's breeder said "Give him an apple - core, seeds and all". She was right - he LOVES Apples - but I do cut them up for him without the core and seeds. Definitely his favorite treat and has given him the nickname "Apple Jax".

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
As long as they swallow rather than chew the seeds, they should be OK. Something like a peach pit is a different story, but apple seeds are pretty harmless (as long as you don't chew them). I think you'd have to chew quite a few to be poisoned, anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts