Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really does think I am stupid. She told me Friday that my hours would be reduced in June and there after to 50% time. She then said I need to write down in great detail exactly what I do and how to do it so they can have a volunteer replace me.

She also asked if it was really necessary to feed the captive waterfowl that we have, and provide them with open water in the winter...(well, not feeding them will work for awhile....about 2-3 weeks)

Hmmm, I get to pick the volunteer too?????

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man, are you kidding? Why is this? Is it slow over there now? I am so sorry.
Ya, the care of the birds, educational programming and my salary are paid for by a trust left to the Sanctuary by W.K. Kellogg...that trust is invested in the stock market...and we all know where that has gone.

I so want to retire and screw the University in the process! I am trying to come up with a way of telling them (and I have to admit in a mean spirited way) that my estate, while once left to KBS (where I work) upon my death and worth about $20,000,000 is no longer theirs.

Ironically, the day she told me this she also gave me a DNR permit which allows me to kill Mute Swan...with a rifle. Hmmmmm, permit to go around shooting things when I am angry.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
The way things are now everybody is cutting back. No one is safe, unfortunately. That sucks for you though.

kill Mute Swan
Why?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
oh sure.. cut your hours and help your replacement? Go ahead and get right on that.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I so want to retire and screw the University in the process! I am trying to come up with a way of telling them (and I have to admit in a mean spirited way) that my estate, while once left to KBS (where I work) upon my death and worth about $20,000,000 is no longer theirs.

Ironically, the day she told me this she also gave me a DNR permit which allows me to kill Mute Swan...with a rifle. Hmmmmm, permit to go around shooting things when I am angry.
I would do it, and tell them that it is specifically because of the idiocy of your supervisor (and name her) that they have lost it.

But I don't understand the permit to kill Mute Swan. Are we so over-run with them that they need to be killed off?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The permit to kill Mute Swan is because they are not native. My supervisor is in charge of eradicating non native species and she said that the swan were easier to deal with than plant species. So, she assigned me the task.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
she said that the swan were easier to deal with than plant species.
Oh nice.
:mad:

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
My company fired all of the developers and then was replacing them with a firm in India. The catch... they had to train their replacements. About half of the staff quit on the spot. A year later they found out how detrimental it was to outsource and rehired developers here. They learned their lesson quickly.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The permit to kill Mute Swan is because they are not native. My supervisor is in charge of eradicating non native species and she said that the swan were easier to deal with than plant species. So, she assigned me the task.....
Your supervisor is a stupid *****! :mad:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I think it's the worse thing to make someone train their replacement, if the person is leaving "under duress" (job outsourced, gvien to volunteer , etc) That's really kicking you when you're down.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My detailed instructions would be spend XXX number of years doing my job After that you should be competent to handle this position.

What an a$$ I would definately not tell them anything but the bare basics.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Your boss is an ass, but don't burn your bridges. It never pays in the long run. Situations change on both sides, never know what the future will bring.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your boss is an ass, but don't burn your bridges. It never pays in the long run. Situations change on both sides, never know what the future will bring.
You are right about burning bridges, and that is the only thing that has kept me from speaking my mind to her and HER supervisor. I may need a letter of recommendation someday. My supervisor has never been in a job longer than 5-6 years (she has been here 1 year), so eventually things may change...not sure I want to hang around that long though.

On the good side though, this did prompt me to go to a doctor for the first time ever for a check-up. Found out that I was healthy as a horse so to speak. The doc did prescribe anxiety pills and something for my back pains. So, for a few hours a day at least I am happy as a lark!!!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Can you quit all together or do you need the 50% that they are offering? I cannot imagine training my replacement, but from what I'm told by others who have been let go recently, if you don't 'cooperate' you don't get your severance.

Our company has laid off hundreds of people in the last few months and contracted with a company from India to outsource most of the jobs. It is very confusing to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts