Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so very proud of Apollo. He has done WONDERFULLY lately! He hasn't chewed anything up in the house AT ALL, he hasn't intentionally peeded in the house either and its been SEVERAL weeks! I am ready for a relapse if and when it happens, but I just wanted to share the good news! I'm so proud of my "pollo puppy!"

Quick question, though. He still has a "happy" bladder. Basically when he gets excited he pees a little. Went to the vet and found nothing wrong (no UTI's or anything) Does anyone have suggestions on how to cure a "happy" bladder? I make sure I don't get all excited around him (so I don't provake the wrath of the 'pee pee bag' (aka bladder) I can handle him having "happy" accidents in the house cuz its just a LITTLE urine, but I would be much happier if we could find a way to stop the excitement peeing. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Good boy, Apollo.

A dog I had while growing up, as well as my sister's dog, had "submissive" pee. There was nothing we could do (other than not get excited when we initially saw them). They outgrew it at about a year or so.

(how old is Apollo?)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apollo is believed to be about 1 year old (at the oldest, he could be younger but I don't know). Him doing a "submissive" pee WOULD make sense because he was previously abused. I have found how to deal with his submissive peeing though. Let me explain. He ONLY submissivley pees when I put the leash on his coller. The way we deal with this is we let him out the front door (off leash) and then he immediately sits once he gets outside. I put the leash on his collar and he crouches down and pees on the concrete (instead of in the foyer). But when he gets excited I have no way to control his peeing. Sometimes he'll pee a little, sometimes he'll pee alot. I am hoping he will outgrow it as well. In the mean time, I've got LOTS of nature's miracle on hand lol.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Great job, Apollo - and kudos to you, too! I'm wondering though - what is different? What did you do to help curb his chewing, etc.?

Not sure about the pee thing....my Bulldog (who is almost 2) will still do it in that same situation - excitement at the door, etc.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for what we did different. Suprisingly all we did was give him a few chew toys. BUT he doesn't chew them. One day out of the blue I started coming home and nothing was destroyed! :eek: I made sure to always keep things up out of his reach. At night he goes into the hallway between the master bedroom and the master bathroom and sleeps with his "pack". I guess he's just starting to feel more comfortable in our home. He's had atleast 3 homes in his short life and I think when he came to our home he really enjoyed being here BUT he worried that when we left (like for work for example) that we would never come back. I think after several weeks of learning our daily routine he finally realizes that we are NOT going to make him leave. I really think thats all it was.

We tried crate traing apollo to prevent destruction, but he kept peeing in the crate while we were gone and then laying in it. so we kinda had to suck it up and put all our "valuables" up out of his reach, just give him some chew toys, let him have free roam of the living room while we were away during the day, and pray to God that we wouldn't come home to destruction. Several days passed and he started chewing less and less. Now he doesn't chew at all. I really think his chewing was a seperation anxiety thing.

As for the peeing in the house, I just don't think anyone ever bothered to housebreak him. All it took was time and some patience and he caught on very quickly.

After all we've been through with him, the excitment peeing really doesn't bother me, but I'm not gunna lie....I really wish I didn't have to clean up several potty accidents each day.
I am so very proud of my boy!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
my girl taylor's bladder control is not as strong as luke's bladder control. when she gets suddenly excited or scared, she will leak a little urine sometimes, too. i'm not sure if there is a "cure," but you can try to manage those situations by 1) prevention 2) acclamation and habitualization (getting him used to those stimuli with repeat exposure) and or 3) building apollo's confidence. the idea is that he would get better at managing his own reaction to sudden changes in his environment.

confidence building exercise include positive experiences with new people, dogs, places, and things (ie socialization), as well as building their ability to cope with bad experiences, and learning new skills. in general, when healthy dogs are well socialized and given opportunity to learn and apply their skills, they are better able to relax and adapt to changes. on the other hand, a weak bladder is a weak bladder. you can only do so much, and increased confidence is no guarantee.

fyi, it's been over 6 months since taylor had a leak, and the bladder control may get better with maturity as well.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol maybe I should tell him to start doing some "Keagel" exercises!!!! :eek: ::) lol

I know that my VERY timid cat became alot more confident and outgoing once we got apollo (I havent a CLUE why). I bet giving apollo the oppourunity to meet lots of new people and animals would really help his confidence level. I've really seen him blossom personality wise in the short time we've had him. I can tell that he is getting more and more secure each day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts