Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAIRBALLS?!?!??! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What on earth do I do for them? Give him a cat hairball laxative???

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
He likely has kennel cough, not hairballs.

Does it sound like a dry hacking cough? Maybe produce a little phlegm, but not vomiting?

Mine always need to be on antibiotics or it turns into full fledged pnuemonia- plus a cough suppressant so I can sleep.

Other people have good luck with children's robitussin.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOl NO! :D Like he is actaully spitting up actual hairballs quite effectively, just like a cat!!! :eek: Like 1-2 inch sized balls of black fur and phlem!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that unusual for a dog to actually spit up furballs? He is shedding like crazy.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now I am giving a hairball laxative to my ferrets and my cats. It is basically petrolium jelly and molases. They get 1 inch of the stuff. I guess I could give apollo 2 inches of petrolium jelly and see how he does. Anyone know if this is a bad idea??

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Maybe try brushing him really well first and see if that abates the problem- no hair to lick off and throw up- no hairballs?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right now I'm brushing him 3 times a day with a zoom groom and vacuuming him. But he's still shedding like mad! :p I just vaccumed the carpet yesterday and its COVERED in fur again. The zoom groom works great, I got an entire plastic shopping bag's worth of fur off him, but the shedding won't stop. I have never seen anything like this. How much more can he shed???

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hmm, probably a lot :)

It depends on the dog, the locale, what you're feeding him, what the shedding gods think of you, etc.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
LOL the 'shedding gods' hate me lol. You should see my carpet!
They must hate us too. After thoroughly dry mopping and vacuuming the kitchen floor, the next morning it was covered again.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
twitch said:
They must hate us too. After thoroughly dry mopping and vacuuming the kitchen floor, the next morning it was covered again.
Boy do I feel your pain. I just spent 2 hours yesterday on my hands and knees vacuuming up a fur covered floor. Guess what....black fur EVERYWHERE today. Ugh. :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you done a "head count" on the rest of your pets? :eek:

You sure it's not a ferret or something? Just kidding.

Give him a good brusing / combing. He's probably licking himself somewhere, and getting little fur balls along the way.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol I zoom groom 3 times a day. Not only is he having hairballs, but so are the cats. I have orange, grey, and black hairballs all over the house. mmmmmmm.....different 'flavors' yay!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
LOl NO! Like he is actaully spitting up actual hairballs quite effectively, just like a cat!!! Like 1-2 inch sized balls of black fur and phlem!
Boomer has done this. I think its why his breath is so bad, actually. I'm not sure what to do about it. ??? He very rarely pukes up a hairball, but it has happened.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
It makes sense this is the time of year he would be shedding in Flagstaff. Weather is getting warmer. Believe me you haven't seen shedding until you own a Corgi. I could never figure out where all of Hap's fur was coming from. Never had a hairball problem so I am of no help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts