Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread has a background...if you missed my previous threads and you are confused, read this:

http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,44565.0.html

I am supposed to spend ONE night this week in my dorm to have my RA come and check out my room and make sure that everything looks good before I check out, but after the horrors of last night (apollo nipping at sam and ingesting clorox products) I can't do it! I was a nervous wreck last night and couldnt study. I will have to spend the night later in the week. ugh. (btw I NEVER sleep at my dorm, I stay there during the day, but at night I stay at sam's apartment and help him care for all the animals)

Tonight I plan to put peanut butter on the hook thing of the leash before i hook apollo up to it to go for a walk.I HOPE that he wont wet himself because he'll eat the peanut butter. Sam got some pepperoni and he's gunna walk apollo and during the whole walk hes just gunna ignore apollo and keep shoving pepperoni in his mouth. (kinda hard to freak out when food keeps going into your mouth ;) ) I am gunna hide in the bushes like a total psycho and watch apollo and sam. This way if apollo gets nervous regardless of the food I can pop out and be right there to assist. Because Sam will be in charge of apollo when we move in a week we need to find a way to atleast distract apollo when sam walks him. I think this food thing might just do the trick. Keep your fingers crossed that this works!

As soon as we can were gunna take apollo to meet with the trainer gabbys mom (laura) reccomended. Its $200+ for one week, but its well worth it (this guy specializes in dogs with issues) So once we have the cash apollo will be going to see this guy.

I hope the move to st. louis goes smoothly next week. We are still trying to juggle the legistics of where to keep apollo (cuz sam wont have an apartment yet and we cant afford to board apollo) but I think this will all work out. Once sam gets an apartment all will be much easier. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

I am really happy to have realized that its not SAM that apollo is terrified of, its the leash. I know that with a little work we can get apollo to be 'ok' thank GOD he's not afraid of sam though, cuz we were worried for a second that we would have to rehome him. But that wont happen now cuz we realize what he's afraid of.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Re: Update on the Sam/Apollo drama

Keep us updated, Guili.

Could you borrow a little bit of cash from your mom? I know it may be difficult because you are very independent, but worth a try. Pay her back in small installments?

Hope the P/B and pepperoni works, and hope Apollo doesn't get a sore tummy.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i already am borrowing some cash from her, I wish my dad and stepmom were more helpful though. My mom is helping sam and I to pay for our uhaul trailer and half of the $500 for gas that we need to move. She also has to support my brother and sister who are in high school. I wish my dad would step up to the plate. They haven't helped me AT ALL since I came to college. They just kinda 'dumped' me out here and act like I don't exists since I graduated high school :-\ I am going to be getting my liscense (long story as to why I don't already have it) as soon as I move home and my mom will pay my gas and insurance until I am able to find a job and pay it myself. So I am lucky to have her helping me out. I wish my dad and stepmom were more supportive.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

zoesmom said:
Hope the P/B and pepperoni works, and hope Apollo doesn't get a sore tummy.
He should be ok. He likes peanut butter and it doesnt mess with his tummy, we'll take it easy on the pepperoni though, I don't know if it agrees with him or not. But he does like cheese, but it gives him gas so i dont like to use it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

Pepperoni has a lot of sodium I think, so please go easy on it ! I am glad you have a Mom that's able to help out some.... I really glad you're moving back to be nearer to her..... family is important, and they can help give you a hand when you need it.... and we ALL need it sometimes...... keep us posted !

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apollo did AMAZING tonight!

Yay! We made some progress tonight.....and we didn't even need food! We used a rope and made a slip collar thing? I attached it to the leash and we put apollo into a sit. We sliped the loop over his head and ta-da! NO peeing! Sam took apollo and started to walk him down the sidewalk (I stayed behind but spied on them) Apollo was totally fine! I hid behind a car and watched as sam walked apollo back to the house. Apollo did great! He was even wagging his tail! He got a treat and a 'good boy' we were SO proud of him! Now I totally realize he could relapse again, but baby steps. Sam only walked him a little bit (to the end of the parking lot and back) but he did so well. Sam didn't even have to distract him with food. So I think we found some solutions:

1. dont clip the leash to apollo's collar, put a slip lead on him thats attached to the leash
2. put apollo into a sit and make him calm down before puttig the loop around his head
3. baby steps

Guys I'm so happy! I think we figured out the problem and how to fix it! I'm so thrilled!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
:)

Glad tonight went well. Yes, baby steps. This is how they learn, as you probably already know.

In the meantime, I still suggest getting him used to his lead...baby steps again...think puppy. Sniff clip; put peanut butter, lick...treat. Done training...Perhaps leave lead out (if he won't chew).. perhaps put more P/B on ....

then advance to clicking the clip part....sniff...peanut butter...

(this is not coming from an expert trainer, only what I would do for Zoe if she had this issue)

I will continue to track your updates. I really want Apollo to find happiness and security in his forever home.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Wonderful news! But may I make a suggestion? The slip lead is a good start, but if Apollo does panic, its way too easy for him to slip out of.

Have you tried a harness with him? Having the leash away from his head/neck might work, and its much safer.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan. It's going to take time but at least Apollo is making progress. Please keep us updated. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
YAY! I'm glad to hear that he do so well last night!!! I thought about you guys a lot yesterday because it breaks my heart to see people suggest you rehome him so quickly. :( I really think with those baby steps and some time that once everyone gets settled into the new routine in St Louis that it will get a lot better!

I was wondering about a harness as well... As Kaytris said - having the leash away from his head/neck might be just the thing.....

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I really wonder why Apollo is so afraid of leashes/clips. I guess you'll never know, but something had to have happened to that dog somewhere down the line. Somebody did something to him with a leash. Really pisses you off, doesn't it! :mad:

Don't these people who mistreat dogs realize that all it would take is one swift lunge and bite...and they themselves would be history? The dog is CHOOSING NOT to tear them from limb to limb because it's such a great dog!!!! And here they are mistreating it??? It's more than ironic. It's more than sad. It's about the lowest form of humanity.

Okay, rant over. I'm glad Apollo is with people who love and care for him now and that you are making progress with him. I'm glad he's happy.....and so are y'all! ;D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kaytris said:
Wonderful news! But may I make a suggestion? The slip lead is a good start, but if Apollo does panic, its way too easy for him to slip out of.

Have you tried a harness with him? Having the leash away from his head/neck might work, and its much safer.
Good idea, I think we'll try that.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm proud to announce that apollo didn't pee himself today when I put his leash on him. Sam and I are gunna go to petsmart tonight to buy a harness for him. Yay apollo!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
I'm proud to announce that apollo didn't pee himself today when I put his leash on him. Sam and I are gunna go to petsmart tonight to buy a harness for him. Yay apollo!
so you used the leash, and not the rope? Good going, Apollo & Giuli

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, after Kaytris brought up the point that he could slip out we went back to the leash. I told him sit, put a glob of peanut butter not on the clip, but a little farther up the leash. This way I could clip it on while he was distracted by licking the leash, make sense? It worked great! He did so good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts