Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to rush my Mom to the hospital last week. In checking her over trying to find the cause of her pain, they found two aortic aneurysms. They are small ones, but I was wondering how fast do they grow? Mom was also told her heart was enlarged and they want her to see a cardiologist and deal with that first. My Mom is stubborn and still hasn't made an appointment yet.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
There is alot of variation in aortic anuerysms. They can be anywhere along the aorta, and whether you can do surgery or not depends on where they are. If they aren't very big, they usually "watch them" to make sure they aren't gowing too much. If they start growing suddenly, or get a certain size ,then they need to be repaired. My MIL had one near her heart. It was inoperable. The doc she went to wasn't very kind, and said she could die tomorrow or in 2 years and there wasn't anything they could do. She passed away 2 years after diagnosis. She was having some back pain, went to lay down, and didn't get up again. I don't want to alarm you too much - people can have anuerysms for years and they are very stable. But she should definelty get it checked out.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ouch um tell her to get to a cardiologist fast and keep up on those things. dont know much about how they grow or what not but i do know this much if they get big enoough to rupture and do rupture evan if she is on an poerating table there is not much they can do to prevent your heart from pumping out all your blood.

so for gods sake get her ass to a qualified doc and keep her going while they are small and relativly harmless

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh boy do I have a lot to share with you on this; I don't even know where to begin. First and foremost, please make sure she follows up with this. It can be very dangerous if left untreated.

In the middle of January my dad had an abdominal aortic aneurysm leak (he had not been previously diagnosed with it like your mom.) His situation was very close to Pat M.'s MIL's. He was laying in bed because he was achy all over - thought it was the flu. He got up to get a glass of water and THANK GOD told my mom to call 911 - now, mind you, this man has even had a heart attack and refused to go the hospital, very, very stubborn! If he would have went back to bed, he would not be here today. They did a 5 1/2 hour surgery to repair the aneurysm. When the doc finished, he told us it went well, but the kidneys didn't look good and some other complications were going on as a result of the long surgery and the leaking blood in his body.

His aneurysm was so big that it caused yet another tear in the upper part of his heart - sorry, but I don't remember the exact terms being used, it was a very difficult time. At first they were saying the tear wasn't bad, medication will take care of it. Well, while in the hospital, they did a scan to check to see exactly how big it was and told us he needed an emergency operation to repair and he may not make it. The hospital that we were in wouldn't even touch him because he had just had the first operation to repair the abdominal one, so they rushed him down to a Miami hospital. That surgery was a success!!!

All while in the hospital, they had to give him dialysis daily because his kidneys weren't functioning. The doctor that did the initial surgery even told the second surgeon there was no way his kidneys were coming back and would be on dialysis the rest of his life - most likely. Well, he proved them wrong! He is now home, dialysis free and everything is working just fine!!! But it was a very, very long road that I wish upon no one!

The docs were saying the number one cause of this is untreated high blood pressure and smoking - he had smoked for many years but quit within the last couple of years!

So, please, if you need to share this with your mom, do so. I know there are a lot of things in life that we let slip by, but don't let this be one of them!!! I hope this doesn't scare you too much because obviously the size of his aneurysm was much larger, but I hope it scares you enough to not let your mom give you excuses; this is nothing to mess around with. I hope your mom listens to you! And I will say an extra prayer for her because apparently mine and a lot of people's on this board that helped me pray seemed to work!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
My husband has one right now. It was diagnosed a couple of years ago, also while looking for the source of another pain. Our vascular dr. told us that aneurysms were like real estate, everything depends on size and location. He goes in every year and they test it to see if it has grown. As long as it remains stable they won't touch it. Any growth and we'll have to do something but in almost three years it hasn't changed at all.

It really needs to be checked out at least for mapping purposes but if they're small then I'd be really surprised if they took any more steps. The important thing is to know you've got it and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Tell her to take care of this immediately since she knows about it! My dad died in May from a ruptured anorism that he did not know about. He was too young, 67.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts