Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stand the guy -- he's every crackly old grampa who smells like wet shoe leather and sits in the corner of family outings, making inappropriate comments. I last listened to him in High School, when he and Howard Stern were going toe-to-toe. Mobey the Worm is funny when you're 16, but not so much at 40+.

But that said, I don't think he should be forced to crawl over broken glass (like he's doing), for making a dumb statement... especially one that Chris Rock or just about any rapper could get away with without a blink.

I also can't believe he's being pilloried by the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Whoopi Goldberg, all three of whom have had their problems with racially-incendiary issues: Tawana Brawley, Heimietown, and Ted Danson in blackface, respectively.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I don't know if there is that much to debate.

He made a stupid statement. People do that all the time.

If you don't like him, don't listen to him.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Well, to me, that depends on what is in his contract. If it said he was going to provide an hour long family friendly broadcast, sure. If it said he was going to provide a thought provoking, adult broadcast, no.

G

·
I don't think he should be fired. People say stupid things all the time. He has apologized, he is suspended......

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I dont know who he is or what he said, but I did see him on TV last night talking to Al and was rolling my eyes. Al kept saying that he said something racial. I rolled my eyes and changed the channel. ::)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
But that said, I don't think he should be forced to crawl over broken glass (like he's doing), for making a dumb statement.
He changed that today...on the NBC Today show he fought back at Sharpton (and Sharpton was on it too). He basically called Sharpton a coward for not coming on Imus' show as promised despite the fact that Imus was sandbagged on Sharpton's show. It's not so much that I'm taking Imus's side (I don't listen to him, I don't like him, I don't care if he's fired today), but I just question Sharpton's motives and legitimacy to argue his point. He's far too selective about what he chooses to get offended over. I get the impression this is just another opportunity to make hay (read money). I don't get the impression he's genuinely trying to change anything...has he listened to rap music lately?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Only if the fire every other numbskull who says something stupid, which I think would include just about every one of us.

Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton must record every talk show, every sporting event, every anything they can jump on, just so they have something to do.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't think he should be fired or anything.....but it's not really PC run amok here. "Nappy headed hos" is pretty bad especially when you're dealing with college athletes who didn't really do anything to warrant being slurred. I think the suspension and the apologies he's surely being forced by his employer to keep repeating are fitting.

I also don't know why white celebrities and politicians go crawling to Sharpton every time a bit of racism, intentional or not, leaks out. He's easily just as bad. Surely there are black leaders with some credibility that could take part in these discussions.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was the offense at the nappy-headed part? Or the Ho?

I think there isn't any debate from legitimate voices within the black community because they, too, recognize this for the non-issue that it is. Imus is in business to offend people -- ALL people. Why are listeners thrown into such a tizzy when they actually get what they've paid to receive?

·
Registered
557 Posts
dweck said:
Was the offense at the nappy-headed part? Or the Ho?

I think there isn't any debate from legitimate voices within the black community because they, too, recognize this for the non-issue that it is. Imus is in business to offend people -- ALL people. Why are listeners thrown into such a tizzy when they actually get what they've paid to receive?
According to MSNBC it was about the "Ho" part. Imus even said this morning that black men disrespect black women all the time with that word, he said it doesn't give me a right to say it but it doesn't give them the right either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know that he should be fired, but only because I feel that it wouldn't fix anything-it's treating a symptom not curing the disease. Al Sharpton, along with many other prominent members of the black community ARE using Don Imus to speak to rappers and others in the community about the way women are demeaned and disrespected. I think that is the issue here and one that EVERYBODY should be concerned about. This is a group of women who are highly skilled athletes, pursuing a higher education at a top university, and the minute they lose they are reduced to being called "ho". Yes, Al Sharpton's focus is on black women, but society as a whole should be bothered by Don Imus' remarks. They reflect a blatant disrespect for the accomplishments and achievements of a group of women that is acceptable by the majority. And if you think I'm wrong-consider this. How many men do you know or have you heard say that the reason they won't vote for Hillary Clinton because she is a woman. Forget her politics, because if they say they won't for her because of her beliefs that's fine, but I know plenty who won't even look at her politics-they've made their decision based on her being a woman. As a woman, I was offended by his remarks. Offended because our society says over and over again that is ok to reduce a woman to this base level-Doesn't matter that the women on that basketball team may be carrying a 4.0 GPA or go on to be doctors and lawyers-Don Imus and others like him can't give them enough respect to not call them a ho when they lose their game.

I'm raising a daughter, and it just irritates the crap out of me that I am going to have to find a way to teach her how to deal with men like the Don Imus' of the world.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
regarese said:
How many men do you know or have you heard say that the reason they won't vote for Hillary Clinton because she is a woman.
I don't know of a single person who won't vote for Hillary because she's a woman. I know plenty who won't because of her platform and stance on dozens of issues, but not on gender alone. I'm shocked that people would, especially in this day and age.

And if women don't learn to respect themselves, how are they going to get respect from others? There seem to be more high-profile men upset about the nappy-ho comment that high-profile women. Why aren't we hearing from Hillary Clinton? Nancy Pelosi? Laura Bush? Condy Rice?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
This is a group of women who are highly skilled athletes, pursuing a higher education at a top university, and the minute they lose they are reduced to being called "ho".
::) Oh, good Lord. I'm quite sure Imus didn't put that much thought into his comment.

Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson....I just.... :-X

·
Registered
578 Posts
dweck said:
And if women don't learn to respect themselves, how are they going to get respect from others? There seem to be more high-profile men upset about the nappy-ho comment that high-profile women. Why aren't we hearing from Hillary Clinton? Nancy Pelosi? Laura Bush? Condy Rice?
So what did the Rutgers basketball team do to disrespect themselves in a fashion that would make it alright for Imus and his sidekick (who also called them hos but isn't being called on it in the media) to speak about them in this manor? And you're right-the women you mentioned should be speaking up as well.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Al Sharpton, along with many other prominent members of the black community ARE using Don Imus to speak to rappers and others in the community about the way women are demeaned and disrespected.
Then why not bring the rappers on the show and speak to them. Im tied of them, meaning Al and Jessie, putting the white man up to teach/speak to the black community. Put them up there and speak to them in the manner you are speaking to Don. I cant roll my eyes enough about this.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
regarese said:
And you're right-the women you mentioned should be speaking up as well.

But they're not.....maybe because it's a non-issue? Or perhaps because there are more important things going on in our world than some guy who gets paid to make off-the-wall comments and did so and in turn got the black political community in an uproar? ::)

1 - 20 of 123 Posts