Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to use a prong collar or an shock collar on Harley, so the manager at Petco recommended one of these. I'm not sure exactly how to use it, but while Harley hated it at first, he did kind of settle down after about 20 minutes and it really did cut down on him pulling at the leash.

Is there a particular method to this thing or do I simply use it as a collar?

Kevin

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Isn't the Halti a head collar, somewhat like a similar product by Gentle Leader?

I used a GL on Puff briefly, always fitted very loosely over her muzzle, but I found it was aging her fur under the over-the-muzzle strap, turning it prematurely white (fairly noticeable in my siggy pix below).

That switched me from using a head collar to using Gentle Leader's "Easy Walk," a body harness.

Their "Easy Walk" takes some trial and error, quite a bit of adjusting and readjusting, to get the best fit but it's MUCH better accepted by most dogs than a head collar plus it's very effective in controlling a dog's pulls on walks.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
It seems that the GL folks have changed the design of the easy walk, making it more of a correction-harness than the original. Look for the Sens-ation or Sens-ible front clip harnesses instead.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I had zero luck with the Gentle Leader head collar... after weeks of trying to get Abbey used to it with treats and everything, she still despised it.

I got the Easy Walk harness, which has the same concept, because it clips in the front, so when the dog pulls, it turns them around. I had to stop using it, though, because Abbey doesn't have much fur in her armpits and it started to chafe and gave her scabs :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't have my lab baby yet, but I use two types of halters on my cocker spaniels. Sadie wears a gentle leader body harness and Chester uses a head halter. The head halter worked wonders for the pulling that Chester used to do - so much that I no longer have to use it. The other reason I liked this for Chester was so that I had more control of his head and could direct his attentions better or tighten the leash and prevent him from barking, etc.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I second the suggestion for the Sense-ation/Sense-ible harness.

I'm personally not a big fan of head halters (GL, Halti) because of the potential danger of neck injury should the dog, for whatever reason, hit the end of the leash with any bit of force.
http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/54/97/

Also, a properly fitted prong collar (and proper training on its use) is not cruel. However, I wouldn't use a prong on a puppy as young as yours.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the Halti back to Petco first thing this morning. No way Harley is wearing that thing!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
If you get the Easy Walk harness, be sure to check the "armpit" of the dog after every walk. That thing chafed Teddy so badly, it made him bleed.
Jefferson can wear it with no problem, but not Teddy. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Took the Halti back to Petco first thing this morning. No way Harley is wearing that thing!
We've found the Halti a great help. It does take most dogs awhile to get used to it (and stop trying to get it off)....definitely more than a couple of days, but for us it was a better alternative than a prong collar or e-collar. Both are frowned upon here and are not permitted in the classes we take. At present we are weaning off the Halti....don't use it much anymore, but it was a good tool for us and is still very useful at times.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
With any training tool it's so important to learn how to fit and use them properly.

I'm currently using a martingale collar with koda. There are a TONNE of dogs in my neighbourhood and i cringe when i see people using them improperly.. cinching from the side and pulling them.

You need to give a quick correction UP and release.. otherwise you're just choking them.

I used a prong with tuck with great success...

How old is your pup? Your first step is to wait until he has all his shots, and get him and yourself into some good obedience classes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had one dog on whom the gentle leader was amazing, but neither of my labs were having anything to do with it. Gus would just drop to the ground and rub his face along the floor/grass. He would NOT stop and I gave up. We're good with prongs, but I agree you don't want to use it TOO young.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
You should continue with a flat collar for your puppy and go to obedience so you can both learn how to walk properly together.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great answers. I'm sorry, but I don't see myself using a prong collar. I can't get past it digging into his neck. I am looking for obedience classes now and we have picked up a few videos on training. We are going to stick with the flat collar or a harness. The one we have connects in the front and goes around his front, so when he pulls, it is all against his chest area.

Here's hoping! :)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I found a harness difficult ... Milly pulled lots lots more because she could get her whole body behind it.

When we started ob. training at 5 months we used a martingale which was really helpful and could be an option for you and Harley when he's a bit older and then at 10 months we progressed to a check chain for obedience class only. We use a flat collar for everything else and at home she rarely wears her collar.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I liked them for training.
Kassa was ok with the Halti after getting used to it.

I use it for Ernie if we are somewhere different and he is too silly to pay attention. Ernie and I do the halti waltz for about 10 mins. He rubs his face on my leg, I kick my leg out of the way and do a little skip.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
With any training tool it's so important to learn how to fit and use them properly.

I used a prong with tuck with great success...
word.

The prong was Wes' salvation. He finally 'got it' -- the knack of heeling -- and we were able to transition him off w/in a month or two.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I used the Halti on both of mine. It didn't hurt them and it seems like after a few times they didn't need it anymore. They got the point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts