Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone on the board has tried Hoodia for weight loss. I'm always very suspicious of these type of products -- especially since my daughter is in recovery from an eating disorder. It is supposed to suppress the appetite naturally, etc., etc. Any thoughts from those who may have tried it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
A girl at work sells something called "magic tea." it contains Hoodia. I don't know much about it. Is is mainly for weight loss? If so, I know both her and another girl have been drinking the tea. I haven't seen any dramatic results with one of the girls, but the other claims that she lost 10-15 lbs in one month. She also said that it makes you have very frequent bowel movements. They say that they haven't had any problems with it so far, but I'm not sure how long they've been using the product.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I personally hate all these products. I used to use them all the time. I was in the military and not Barbie by any means not heavy either. I was always on the weight management program and let that self image dominate my early 20's. I hated myself thought I was grossly over weight by standards the miltary had that were black and white. E5 was held over my hed for a year given back taken given back etc. I was in the Gym every day and could easily run 3 miles at a good time. I did everything to pass weigh ins I mean if there is a trick in the book I did it. If there was a weight loss product I tried it. I later decided they could have my civil liberties but not myself image. I got out and went to nursing school. Lets just say my struggle for uneeded weight loss was the closet I have ever come to sucide. Knowing what I know now I was very lucky I could and probably started to shut down more than one organ system. The diet products are not worth the risk of not knowing what they affect with everyday things. For examle the natural vitamin that they tout for weight loss will react with weight loss supplement of the hour. If I ever have kids and they try these products they are grounded until 30.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Yes, I've tried Hoodia. After seeing the segment on 60 Minutes, I did some research. The claim is you have to be careful where you buy it from. It has to be pure hoodia, and companies have come out with capsules containing some (little) hoodia mixed with other things of no value. From an article I read, there were only 2 recommended companies to buy it from.

I bought Hoodia Hoodia, from Millenium Health Supplements in Canada. It says right on the bottle grown in S. Africa. Millenium is one of the few licensed to process and sell hoodia.

I tried it for about a week, to see if I could tell a reduction in appetite, and I could. They say it can vary from person to person how long 'til you feel any reduction. The bottle says 1-2 capsules daily (800 mg ea), 1 in the a.m., 1 before dinner.

I'm going to begin taking it on a regular basis soon.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think these types of products are snake oil, personally.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I, too, agree that you need to be very careful. I, personally, am not thinking of using it. There is too much emphasis on body image in our society today. You cannot pick up a magazine and not see a new weight loss idea or how much weight this celebrity as lost, etc. If an individual needs to lose weight, do it under the guidance of a qualified nutritionist or dietician. I have seen first hand where the quest for thinness can lead a person and it's ugly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts