Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I saw this on TV tonight and read it in the paper today. SU is taking Avandia. I told him he should call his Dr. and ask about it. I'm sorry to hear this about Advandia. It's the only thing that has controlled Walt's diabetes this well.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Heard that report on NPR this morning. I really feel for people who rely on prescription drugs for controlling multiple diseases or ailments. The health care system is so complicated to slog through anymore. The patient or caregiver frustration level is enough to drive them to try illegal drugs just to soothe that frustration and get the relief they truly need.

Even getting an appointment with your established physician takes a major miracle if you change your insurance provider!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
It's not going to be JUST Avandia. Canada and had the scoop on this back in 2001. It's Rosiglitazone (Avandia) and pioglitazone (Actos).

A quote from the link I posted.
Letters to health professionals were also issued by the respective manufacturers, GlaxoSmithKline and Eli Lilly Canada.
This link shows where the drug companies knew. The US didn't bother to take action.
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/166/2/219

My mother got on this medication last summer. It would have been nice to have this information. I know my mother would have not taken it if she had known.

This post was made by my sister this past MARCH.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:39 pm Post subject: I'm just sitting here waiting....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I can do for the time being.
Shanna called me about half an hour ago. She's at the hospital with my mom. They were having lunch at a restaurant and mom became short of breath and just generally...not right. Shanna took her to her doctor's office. They checked her over and told Shanna that it was a good thing she brought her in. They suspected she'd either had a heart attack or was on the verge of....? They called an ambulance to transport her to the hospital. Shanna is up there now with all of our girls. Garland is on her way to pick up the girls. But now all I can do is sit here and wait for someone to tell me something.
My mother was transported to the hospital from the doctor's office in an ambulance. The hospital was about 150 yards from the doctor's office. They share a parking lot. We could have lost her.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
My mum has stopped taking it as she has heart trouble and called her doctor has an appointment on Wed. They told her it won't hurt her to go 2 days on just her other meds as hers is so well controlled.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Thanks Laura.... We did not know this and Jeff is on it. tyvm for posting this
He was doing really well too with this and the Junevia in combination. Now, we are back to the drawing board.

If the US knew about this and did nothing that really pisses me off. But doesnt surprise me. The almighty buck is too important.

Monnie, tell Walt to ask about Junevia.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
If the US knew about this and did nothing that really pisses me off. But doesnt surprise me. The almighty buck is too important.

Although I am sure the US did know... we KNOW that GlaxoSmithKline and Eli Lilly knew.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
This is why I don't trust anything the drug companies or the FDA says. (SOBs)
I'll have to call my Mom tomorrow and make sure she isn't on this. :(

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
This is why I don't trust anything the drug companies or the FDA says. (SOBs)
I'll have to call my Mom tomorrow and make sure she isn't on this. :(
Check for Actos too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've never been on Avandia but I have been on actos. Actos made me violently ill and thankfully I was off of it two weeks later. That's one thing that scares me about these "wonder drugs", we don't know what long term effects they have. I'm on byetta now and honestly it seems too good to be true. I just hope and pray that they don't find anything wrong with it because my sugar is awesome and I feel great on this drug!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
He went to bed really upset... took the juventia but not the Avandia. I'm sure in a couple of days his sugars will be up.

I'll call to get an appt tomorrow but they are booked weeks in advance. ::)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Thanks, Susan. I will. He is on Glucotrol which wasn't totally controlling his diabetes. He's just been on the Advantia since Feb. I'm calling the Dr. tomorrow for an appointment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts