Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby has been offered two jobs this week. One in Alexandria, LA and another in Syracuse, NY. We were pretty set on living near Alexandria because his family is in the region. Then, he got the offer in Syracuse, and it's with a company that has a lot more potential for growth, which is what he's looking for. He's also been wanting to work for this particular company so it has jumped up to #1 if everything else is okay. :)

We're mainly just wondering what the city is like, if it's crime infested, how the schools are (very important - that's our only hesitation to moving to Alexandria. The boys' school now is rated 10/10 and is going to be so hard to leave. :(). What the utility costs are like? Vehicle registrations? Little things like that to see what the difference in cost of living is like. We'll be in an apartment until we sell our home so we've already been looking at those. They seem comparable to the prices around here.

Whatever advice anyone living near the region can give us about the city to a family of Southerners that haven't been out of the South for more than a week at a time (well, that goes for me and my kiddos anyway). :p If we do move, I'm sure that first winter will be a little tough on us since 40 is freezing down here. :D

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I lived there for a year many years ago so I may not be qualified to answer, but...be prepared for a lot of snow in the winter. The cost of living is higher. Check out how much state and local taxes are now.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I forgot to mention that the job itself is actually in East Syracuse. I'm not sure if that will affect anything though since it's just a little suburb of Syracuse (still bigger than our town! lol) from what I'm reading.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I grew up near Syracuse. In fact, I was just there this past weekend. Definitely be prepared for LOTS of snow! It's a beautiful area. There are a lot of lakes nearby.

I'm afraid I can't help you out as far as the economics go. It's just been too long since I've lived there. Good luck!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Gail, they get TONS of snow there and it gets really, really cold in the winter. Huge system shocker if you've been down south all your lives. :)
What happened to the job in - where was it - Honk Kong or something?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Well as others have said...be prepared to face a lot of snow and cold!

I lived on the other side of NY (albany area) for a while and based on that and from the little I do know about Syracuse I can say that the housing costs are cheaper well...in comparison to MD. Definitely a good deal cheaper. I dont know much about LA.

Utilities will probably be a little higher due to the long winter months. Gas prices are definitely higher than MD, NJ or MA. Sales taxes are higher.
Downtown Syracuse may not be the best place to live but there are a lot of good suburbs.
The area is definitely beautiful.

Have you checked out the cost of living charts and what not that are available online? They can give you a rough estimate on what kind of money you'd be spending to live in Syracuse.

Here's a link I found that could give you some sense. Not sure on how accurate it is... --> http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. :) The only reason he really is looking at the LA job is because of his family being there. I asked him that if they weren't there, would he take the job, and he said probably not. The company in NY is a nation-wide corporation that are contractors where he works now. He is really impressed with the company and has been wanting to switch over to them, but he's also had an opportunity in Kadena which they are dragging their feet on.

He is tired of his job now...has been for quite a while. He hasn't been happy at work in a really, really long time, he works different shifts on different days of the week (works 4 am to noon on Mondays & Tuesdays, 7 am to 3 pm on Sundays, and 4 pm to midnight on Wednesdays & Thursdays), and he works pretty much ALL holidays. He's almost as high as he can get there, and he's only 31 years old. He wants something with a better schedule, working less holidays (especially the big ones like Christmas - he's been home only one full Christmas day out of our children's lives), and advancement opportunities.

While we'd love to stay in the South closer to family with the other company, we are more than willing to relocate to get our foots in the door with this company if it's to an area that will be good for the kids. Once he's working there, we can always try to relocate back closer to home once he's been there a bit if we want to by then.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for those links! I've been browsing through them most of the morning. :) It definitely is pretty there. It will take a few winters to get used to that white stuff we only see an inch of once every decade or so. ;)

I'm sure we'll start out renting unless we can sell our home really fast. Jason is already looking at properties. I guess the place he'll actually be working is in Courtland...maintaining the hospital there. The home prices don't seem too different from here. This is the one he likes from what he's looked at so far: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Cortland_NY_13045_1108168910

We'll see what happens. We'll definitely go visit before he decides to take it to make sure us and the boys would be okay living there. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That's alot of house for little money! Nice! :)

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Cortland, NY is very nice.
Can't really help you. I believe Syracuse is a bit like Buffalo. Colder and gets more snow in the winter than we do (South Western Ontario-near Toronto). You'll need some nice winter jackets and good boots, but you'll survive. :)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
WOW! You are going to freeze your behinds off. That area is beautiful. Wait until you see Fall. 40* is going to seem like spring come April. Good luck with your decision and move.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't see the pics here! lol Jason looked at them at work, but for some reason, I can only see the ones on the first page. When I click on "see all photos", it freezes up. I didn't even know it had a fireplace. :)

I'm not looking at houses like Jason is just yet...I just want a price range of what to expect. He's getting a little over-excited about it. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts