Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To add to this board:
When I took Mira for a walk last week, she really seemed to like one of these dogs that came up to her and gently kissed her muzzle. Mira is an old gal and doesn't need a rambunctious dog and I have had my eye on this breed. Quite different from a lab but seem very friendly.
Any opinions??

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My niece has had several, and my boss has 2. They both say they are awesome dogs! My boss' 2 go on looooooong walks with them all the time. They're very calm dogs, and get along great with everyone. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Lovely dogs! Strongly recommend a reputable breeder, one who does health testing, especially for hearts. Many Lab breeders we see at specialties have Cav's. I think because they have a very Lab-like personality. Always happy and waggin' their tail.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Personality wise, I can't fault the ones I have met. They are very popular dogs around here.

I would be concerned about the number of health problems they can suffer from, though:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/breeders.htm
Yup. I would LOVE a Cav. But I don't know if I want to risk it. They have some unusual problems in the breed. Which is why i strongly recommend a breeder who test every thing! I was told Cav's like the Berner are heartbreak breeds.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
My brother has two and my niece has one. I wasn't sure if I'd like them at first because I like bigger dogs, but the first time I stayed with my brother after he got them I fell in love. Very sweet, cute, fun dogs.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I've had 2 of them in the past - both adopted. I got them at a fairly old age & they both settled in really well with my existing dogs. I didn't get them together. It was over different periods. They've got a really sweet docile nature & don't bark much unless someone comes to the door.

The only minor health problem I encounted, was the odd ear infection but then you get that with Labs & the other floppy ear breeds too. I'd have another one tomorrow if I could. :)

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Just wanted to add that Cavaliers can be pretty timid, so it is very important to socialize them as pups. My DD did an excellent job socializing Tucker--and he is very outgoing now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts