Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if so, if I may ask, what kind?
I have looked at both PetPlan and Embrace....I am leaning towards PetPlan at the moment...does anyone have any experience with this plan?
After Moka's accident I have decided that pet insurance would be a good investment to make. So far, we're at around $4800, out of pocket. If we had had pet insurance we would have only been out about $800. I know we'd still have to cover all the routine stuff (shots, exams, etc) but this would cover the majority of an emergency-which I realized, if another emergency like this (God forbid) were to happen again, we may be in a bit of financial trouble. It also wouldn't cover any of the remaining treatment for Moka, but still.....it seems like it makes alot of sense for us and the girls.

Opinions or thoughts?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer has a savings account that we pay into each month, and have since he came home. We would only use it for emergencies (thank God we have never had any), we do not use it for routine things (shots, exams, etc.). We decided to go this route because God-willing we never need it, the money is still there. Knowing how much my parents spend on their senior dog, we will also use it if his routine care gets too expensive as he ages. My SIL has insurance for her dogs, and found that the vet started charging more after she got insurance, and charging for things that they weren't charged for before.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have VPI on most of my dogs. Full coverage for the puppy, limited for the others. I pretty much make at least half of my premium back if we just go once a year to the vet but if we have to go more than once, I make it all back.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have PetPlan for Saba (SecuriCan in Canada). I have to say I couldn't do without it. My coverage pays for 80% of my bills, up to $2,500.00 per condition per year. My coverage level does not cover routine shots, or the yearly check up. Never had an issue with them. It costs me almost $50.00 a month.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
We've got pet insurance through ASPCA. As with Neska74,our insurance pays 80% of the cost after $100 deductable (over the year). With a puppy, it's bound to help!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I have VPI Pet Insurance and it has already paid for itself. After having to pay for a TPLO for my female and elbow dsyplasia for my male I decided to get it. Within 2 months of Moose's elbow dsyplasia surgery he ate a sock that got lodged and it took emergency surgery to remove it along with 4" of intestine. Thankfully the insurance covered more than 50%. I spend $65/mo for both dogs and my insurance policy is the best you can get and includes cancer coverage. I've spent more than $10,000 in the last 2 years - even with putting money aside I had to borrow most of it. I'm still paying off the balance of his dysplasia surgery. Based upon my experience I will always insure my dogs as long as I can afford it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have embrace pet insurance, it cost $69/month, It also has dental added to it. I get a $200 yr allowance to use on whatever I want...shots, flea/heartworm control, dental cleanings etc. I have a $200 yr deductable and I think up to 10,000 yr coverage. I liked embrace because they cover most everything except pre-existing conditions, which in my case having a 7 yr old, that is newly adopted doesn't help us much. Actually I've been considering canceling. But....If I had a puppy or young dog I would definitely get it. Especially in your case Gina- find out if they will cover anything related to your dogs injury in the future, like if something happens again they might try to say they can't cover because it was pre-exisiting. I really hate ins. sometimes!!! My husband and I did research on vpi, aspca, emabrace and found embrace covered the most and was reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I also have Embrace and have been reasonably happy. I got insurance on the two young dogs after a horse hospitalization and older dog cancer wiped out the emergency fund. I opted for the higher deductible and no dental so it's pretty cheap but like all insurance companies once you file a claim your premium goes up. The puppy had an X-ray on a tail and that's all it took.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
A friend of mine has it and likes it. Next dog I'll consider getting it from the start. Mind you, that dog will be the one with NO issues......

·
Registered
514 Posts
We have VPI on both boys, have since the day we got them. It's super easy process to file a claim and it's totally worth the $20.00 per month. With Fitzgerald's paw troubles last year, we got most of our expenses reimbursed. We have the plan that does NOT cover routine vaccinations or routine checks. I would highly recommend VPI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts