Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeding Gus Purina One LBP and switched to Diamond Naturals LBP after some high recommendations. Shortly thereafter he started to scratch quite a bit. I just passed it off as maybe he could have gotten a flea or 2 b/c of him being outside more due to the nicer spring weather. But now his coat is starting to look more coarse along the backbone to go along with the scratching. For the record I have never found a flea on Gus. When he was on Purina One he had a beautiful, shiny coat.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I switched mine to Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice a couple of months ago (not the LBP, but adult). He's had some problems in the past with scratching, and he may have allergies (we're not sure), but so far he's had no problems with this food. He's not scratching, and his coat's fine, no change there.

Some dogs react differently to different foods.

I think the coat along the backbone is more coarse, so that could possibly be the way his coat's becoming (just a thought). If the scratching doesn't seem to stop, maybe it is connected with the food.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he was on Science Diet ( Vet conned my wife ) and had a terrible coat. We switched to the Purina One and his coat was beautiful. Now his coat is reverting back nearly to like it was on the Science Diet. It could be a coincidence but I'm not convinced that's it. The Naturals LBP is Lamb & Rice by the way

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
How long has he been on it?

You're not going to see a coat change right away. Coat changes take a while- you may be seeing a coincidental coat change- it could the season, other allergies, etc.

We feed diamond and have a lovely coat.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
we feed ginger diamond natural lamb meal and rice. she hasn't had any problems with it. i have read that their fur is supposed to be coarse not soft...so maybe he's losing his puppy fur?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi is eats diamond natural chicken and rice. She has a great coat, no scratching and no ear problems. I couldnt be happier. She seems to love it and only a couple of nice poops aday ;D- Way better then when she was on her puppy food or initally when we tried her on nutro- large breed adult. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could just be paranoid, it just seems that the scratching and dry skin has coincided with the food change.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
We feed Diamond Naturals to our fosters and Rider used to be on it...all of our fosters do well on it.

Why did you switch him from the Purina One if he was doing well on it? IMO, you don't need to fix what ain't broke. And food rollercoasters for dogs is harsh.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I switched b/c of all the of the corn meal,wheat, & whole grain corn in the Purina. The Naturals is just a higher quality food based on ingredients and was highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Gusdad- I went back and looked. Your dog is pretty young, right? Less than 6 months old?

Both of mine went through a change right around five months where they lost their cute soft puppy fur and got adult fur. I was shocked.

It's normal. You just happened to time it with the food change.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Corn is not bad for all dogs...I wouldn't switch a food unless there was runny stool, lots of gas, gunky ears or huge amount of dandruff.

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Your pup's hair is changing because you sig pic is too large (just teasing - but could you make it a little smaller for the sake of us who still have dial-up? ;))

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Good Lord what an adorable pup!!!!!
I feed Mya (6 months) Diamond LBP and am very happy with it. I also asked the vet for something to encourage a beautiful coat and he gave me something to squirt on her food once a day. I know it contains fish oil and some vitamins. I am very happy with her coat so far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I started my pup out with Diamond LBP Lamb and Rice as recommended by the breeder (that is what they were feeding) and Ranger couldn't get rid of the diarhea. So we switched to Science Diet LBP and he STILL couldn't get rid of the diarhea. So, then the vet said to try Iams. Bingo! His little system can handle the Iams great and his coat is beautiful. ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts